Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
655 Discussions

HLS Main Optimizer Failed: The command line is too long

ybrstud
Beginner

Hello everybody,

currently I am working on a project, where I want to use the HLS compiler to use my c++ code on the FPGA. To your information: FPGA is CycloneV, Quartus version is 18.1 lite. Every time I got the same error messages from the Compiler, see my attached file: "The command line is to long. HLS main optimizer failed." This error message appears after about 30 minutes of compilation.

The HLS compilation in general works, because I compiled a few projects before, but in my c++ Code I add nothing new, so in my opinion it is not possible that the Code gots an error. The compilation for a processor e.g. x86 works fine.

My command to start the HLS compilation is: i++ --quartus-compile --simulator none -march=CycloneV file.cpp -o test-fpga -v

Could anybody help me to solve this issue?

Thanks in Advance!

Best regards, ybrstud

0 Kudos
10 Replies
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Could you provide me the information as below:

1. OS version
  2. HLS Compiler version
  3. Log file
  4. Design code file

Thanks

0 Kudos
ybrstud
Beginner

Hi MeiYanL_Intel,

thanks for your reply.

See my following answers to your issues:

1. Windows 10 Home v1909 x64 OS
  2. Intel HLS Compiler Version 18.1.0 Build 625
  3. see attachment, but there is nothing useful documented
  4. sorry I can not provide this to you, but I only include the "HLS/hls.h" and the "HLS/ac_int.h" libraries, nothing else.

I hope you have an idea concerning my problem.

Thank you, ybrstud

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I had tried to use the command "i++ --quartus-compile --simulator none -march=CycloneV counter.cpp -o test-fpga -v" to compile the design example: counter.cpp. There is no error and it is compile successfully.

If you could not share the design file here, you can try to email me for the design file. I will try to compile the provided design file and duplicate the error for further investigate.

Thanks

0 Kudos
ybrstud
Beginner

Yes exactly. As I mentioned in my initial commit: "The HLS compilation in general works, because I compiled a few projects before." There I use the same command line as in the project which fails...

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

It might be the design code problem. Could you provide the design code for further investigate?

Thanks

0 Kudos
ybrstud
Beginner

Hi,

is it possbile to you to check where the issue in the commit below has its origin?

Maybe it is the same problem, because in the examples there should be no design code error.

Thanks and best regards

0 Kudos
SParv4
Beginner

Hi,

HLS gets stuck at this same point with 19.1 Standard with the 'image_downsample' example.

i++ debug log file                   

This file contains diagnostic information. Any errors 

or unexpected behavior encountered when running i++  

should be reported as bugs. Thank you.         

Compiler Command: i++ -march=Arria10 bmp_tools.cpp main.cpp resize.cpp -o test-fpga.exe

0 Kudos
Engineer87
New Contributor I
Hello. Arria10 chip design needs huge amount of Ram and pagefile. Even Bigger than 64 Gb. Thnks.
0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

I am using HLS Compiler Standard v19.1 in Linux version. There is two command methods I had tried to compile the design file, could you try the command as below:

1. make test-fpga
  2. i++ -march=Arria10 bmp_tools.cpp main.cpp resize.cpp -o test-fpga

By using these two command, I am able to compile the design successfully.

May I know the OS,Kernel and GCC version you are using?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Engineer87
New Contributor I
Hello i finally found the solution. The answer is : compiling c++ code in fpga mode with i++ compiler needs a huge amount of Ram and hdd resource for page filing. For example a cycloneV design needs about 64gb ram and resource. it depends on your design. Make a huge pagefile in OS and bring a huge ram. That is it. Thanks.
0 Kudos