Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
677 Discussions

Intel HLS compiler does not find includes

Paba
Novice

Hi everyone

I am new to HLS and doing my first steps with the Intel HLS compiler. I am using Intel Quartus 18.1 which comes with an integrated HLS compiler and also provides with samples for people like me doing the first steps with it.

To meet the pre-requisites for the HLS compiler I have installed Visual Studio 2017 Professional edition on my computer. Then followed the installation and initialization instructions from the Intel Website: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683053/19-1/installing-the-standard-edition-on-microsoft.html

After running the init_hls.bat I thought I am ready to run one of the first examples. So I picked the 'counter' project provided in the <quartus install dir>\hls\examples\counter folder. But when running the build.bat file I always encounter the following error:

Paba_0-1691481803158.png

I did some research through the web to solve this issue. Some stated that a different command prompt should be used to overcome this issue. Some said that you need to specify the correct paths. But so far I was not able to solve this issue. Can someone give me a hint what I can do so that the HLS compiler is able to find the correct paths for the standard includes?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Paba
Novice

Hi Aik

Thanks for your time and the attempts to help me.
Finally I found out what the problem is and it is going in a completely different direction than you tried to help. Unfortunately I must say the Intel documentation for the HLS compiler has a lot of room for improvement!

The problem on my side was at different locations:

1. I had to install the latest Quartus version. I was not able to get it run with Quartus 18.1 which I am currently using.
  2. I had to download the latest HLS compiler 21.4. The one which comes with Quartus 18.1 does not work on my computer. I was still not able to correctly run the init_hls.bat file.
  3. I was using Windows Power Shell as the command prompt, but this is not working. You need to use the normal command prompt to get it run.

However, in the end the following link helped me a lot to solve the problem:
https://www.macnica.co.jp/en/business/semiconductor/articles/intel/127029/

Best Regards

Paba

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
aikeu
Employee

Hi Paba,

Can check with the link below, it shows a better view on the requirements, init and start example steps which might help as your reference.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
Paba
Novice

Hi Aik

Thanks for your reply!

During my research of what could go wrong I already came across the link you have posted. In regards of the required tools I have already everything installed and setup. Depending on this it should already work, but it does not. I don't know how the HLS compiler knows which C++ compiler should be taken. I guess this is somewhere configured in the Quartus installation.

Another thing I saw is that on the link you have posted, they use a special HLS command prompt from Visual Studio 2017.

Paba_0-1691757469274.png

Do you know where I can start it from?

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Paba,

May I know the below:

1. quartus version used
  2. Visual studio version (Do you have multiple version of Visual studio installed)
  3. the log info when init_hls.bat (Any difference from the document pic)

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
Paba
Novice

Dear Aik

Thanks for your reply. Please find my answers to your questions below:

1. I use Quartus  version 18.1
  2. I first had Visual Studion 2022 installed on my computer. To meet the requirements for the HLS compiler I did install additionally Microsoft Visual Studio Professional 2017 (version 15.9.55)
  3. The following screenshot shows the output of the init_hls.bat:
    Paba_0-1692166918609.png

It looks quite different from what is shown in the document picture. But I'm not sure if this is the root cause of my issue.

Thanks for your help!

0 Kudos
Paba
Novice

Hi Aik

I'm now one step further. I now have downloaded and installed a new version of Quartus, including HLS compiler. I'm now runnning on:

• Quartus Prime Version 22.1std
  • Intel HLS compiler version 21.4

When running the init_hls.bat I get the following result:

Paba_0-1692343903195.png

After now successfully running the init, I tried again to run the 'counter' example from the HLS compiler installation. But I still get the same error when running the build command:

Paba_1-1692343999056.png

Best Regards

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Paba,

The error is coming from C:/intelFPGA/18.1/hls

I think you will need to make sure your operation is using the correct path.

The hls supported document as below showing supported quartus version:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683680/21-4/downloading-the-pro-edition.html

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos
Paba
Novice

Hi Aik

Thanks for your time and the attempts to help me.
Finally I found out what the problem is and it is going in a completely different direction than you tried to help. Unfortunately I must say the Intel documentation for the HLS compiler has a lot of room for improvement!

The problem on my side was at different locations:

1. I had to install the latest Quartus version. I was not able to get it run with Quartus 18.1 which I am currently using.
  2. I had to download the latest HLS compiler 21.4. The one which comes with Quartus 18.1 does not work on my computer. I was still not able to correctly run the init_hls.bat file.
  3. I was using Windows Power Shell as the command prompt, but this is not working. You need to use the normal command prompt to get it run.

However, in the end the following link helped me a lot to solve the problem:

Best Regards

Paba

0 Kudos
aikeu
Employee

Hi Paba,

Great to hear that the probelm has been resolved. I will close this thread for now. Do consider open a new thread if there is further question.

p/s: If any answer from the community or Intel Support are helpful, please feel free to give best answer or rate 4/5 survey.

Thanks.

Regards,

Aik Eu

0 Kudos