Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
655 Discussions

Is there any good source for HLS with a very basic example?

TRoa
New Contributor I

Hi,

I am intending to learn HLS, buy on internet, I couldn't find any good example or tutorial that describes a simple go through with Intel HLS.

Please note that I am an experienced Verilog and VHDL designer. Just need a good go through with Intel HLS tools and do a simple example on Windows platform.

Please post if there is any.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
8 Replies
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

There is a simple design example which is compile in Window in 2.2 with the link below: https://www.intel.com/content/dam/www/programmable/us/en/pdfs/literature/hb/hls/ug-hls-getting-started.pdf

For you information, you may also find other examples in the path: <quartus_installdir>\hls\examples

Thanks

0 Kudos
TRoa
New Contributor I

Thanks for replay. Another related question. Is there any way I can learn HLS for free? Is for Pro version, I will be needing a paid licence. And light version doesn't contain any HLS option.

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Question:

"Is there any way I can learn HLS for free?"

Answer:

You can learn through training course provided by Intel with link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/support/training/catalog.html?courseType=Online

Question:

"Is for Pro version, I will be needing a paid licence. And light version doesn't contain any HLS option."

Answer:

Based on my understanding, there is more feature and option build for HLS compiler pro edition compare to HLS compiler lite edition.

Thanks

0 Kudos
TRoa
New Contributor I

I couldn't find any HLS compilers Lite version so far. I am trying, may be I could find. As I downloaded Lite version of Quartus, and that doesn't included HLS compiler. But may be there is some separate support is provided for Lite version users.

0 Kudos
HRZ
Valued Contributor III

You can probably install Quartus Prime Standard or Pro and play around with the HLS compiler since, as far as I know, the C/C++ to HDL compilation does not need a license. You should also be able to run simulations without a license. However, to place and route the HDL into a bitstream and run on an actual FPGA, you are going to need a license.

0 Kudos
TRoa
New Contributor I

Wow...cool. Thanks sir.

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Thanks for the provided the information above.

I found there is a information error as stated "The Intel® HLS Compiler is included in the Intel® Quartus® Prime Design Software installation and is supported by the Quartus Prime Pro Edition, Quartus Prime Standard Edition, and Quartus Prime Lite Edition" in link below:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/software/programmable/quartus-prime/hls-compiler.html

As the HLS compiler is not included and supported in Quartus Prime Lite edition.

I will report this information to the concern team.

Thanks

TRoa
New Contributor I
0 Kudos