Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
663 Discussions

MAX II / MAX V in-circuit programming

chrisfly
Beginner

Hello everybody,

we are currently designing a PCB using a 5MZ240ZT100 CPLD. We need a solution allowing an on-site CPLD firmware update without having to use a JTAG programmer like Altera USB Blaster.

This is necessary because the board will be in use world-wide and sending an engineer to do the programming is not feasible because of extremely high cost. Unskilled personnel should be able to carry out the update without the need to open the cabinet and connect programmers to the inside.

Our plan is as follows:

-> Programming file (.POF .HEX od other?) sent to the customer by e-mail

-> Customer loads it into the system's main computer, using and guided by the system's web server

-> Programming file to be loaded into an on-board MCU via I2C and buffered in its internal RAM

-> MCU translates/processes the data (if necessary) and then forward to the CPLD via JTAG in the same format as the JTAG programmer. A subsequent verify should also be performed.

We plan to realize the JTAG interface by bit-banging in the MCU. The process itself is not time-critical, JTAG speed may be slow.

Questions:

1. Is this possible at all?

2. Which of the programming files generated by Intel/Altera Quartus Prime IDE should be used?

3. Can the programming file directly be uploaded to the CPLD or is there any pre-processing, conversion or decoding needed? In the latter case, is there any C code available to do this job or at least some documentation about it?

I guess we are not the only ones who need a CPLD firmware update without the need for a programming adapter, so I am sure the there is some solution available.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Best regards from Germany,

Chris

0 Kudos
6 Replies
FvM
Valued Contributor III
The configuration file conversion tool can generate portable JTAG programming file formats .jam, .jbc or .svf. Source code for embedded programmers that support these formats is available on the net. Altera previously published a JAM player project, it should be still available.

Frank
0 Kudos
chrisfly
Beginner

Dear FvM,

thanks for your feedback.

Unfortunately, it seems that the Jam Player source code has been discontinued from Intel's website, probably after Altera was taken over by Intel. I have no clue why <LANGUAGE REMOVED> Intel does no longer support this.

Do you know if there is any chance to download this code somewhere? All published links led to Intel's 'Product Discontinuance Notifications'.

It says 'We have discontinued the software. Please contact your Intel sales representative to request access to the discontinued software. If your request is approved, you will receive a link via email to download the software.'.

However, i have no clue how to contact Intel to get the download approval. Any idea?

Regards

Chris

0 Kudos
ak6dn
Valued Contributor III

Intel after taking over Altera has deprecated the download of lots of old software. Support tools, Quartus versions, you name it.

I can't understand why, it really does not cost them anything to leave it available, but probably their lawyers said not to (I am guessing).

That being said, there is at least one JAM STAPL third party code base:   https://github.com/margro/jam-stapl

Appears to be more or less directly derived from the Altera STAPL v2.5 source code.

It allows for parsing .jbc files and sending them to a bit-banged JTAG port implementation. Perfect for a small micro.

No programming device needed, just a small micro connected to JTAG TCK/TMS/TDI/TDO as GPIO bits.

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello, 

Currently, Intel provide Jam Player (with sourcecode) based on request, and you need to have CNDA with Intel in order to download the file. I will send the details to your email to start the process. 

regards,
Farabi

0 Kudos
pavel_vik
Beginner

Hi Farabi, 

we are also interested in the Jam Player & and the source code and have the same use case as chrisfly.

It would be great if you could get in touch with me.

regards, 

Pavel

0 Kudos
Farabi
Employee

Hello, 

we will communicate using email that I sent to you to process the CNDA. 

I will transfer this case to community. 

regards,

Farabi

0 Kudos