Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
655 Discussions

OpenCL RTL simulation using ModelSim-Intel FPGA Edition or Aldec Riviera Pro

PVeli
Beginner

I have ModelSim-Intel FPGA edition and Aldec Riviera Pro simulator in my system.I donot have MentorGraphics ModelSim with me. When I am simulating the vector_add OpenCL example design using the following procedure.

$aoc -march=simulator device/vector_add.cl -o bin/vector_add.aocx -board=a10gx

$make

$CL_CONTEXT_MPSIM_DEVICE_INTELFPGA=1 bin/host

I have got the following error.

Platform: Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM)
Using 1 device(s)
SimulatorDevice : Multi-process Simulator (aclmsim0)
Using AOCX: vector_add.aocx
The simulation process encountered an error and has aborted.
Error: The simulator's process ended unexpectedly. Check /raid/dpfd/projects/Compression/simulation_demo/vector_add/bin/transcript.log for details.
host: src/hls_cosim_ipc_socket.cpp:212: void IPCSocketMaster::connect(): Assertion `sockfd != -1 && "IPCSocketMaster::connect() call to accept() failed"' failed.

It was given in the book, probably the ModelSim-IntelFPGA edition is not compatible with OpenCL RTL simulation, however I have another full-fledged simulator Aldec-Riviera Pro.I can compile and simulate all Intel Arria10 IPs in that. I am sure there must be a way for OpenCL-RTL simulation in Riviera PRO as well.

There must be a macro such as CL_CONTEXT_MPSIM_DEVICE_INTELFPGA, for Riviera Pro or any other tools as well. Please help me with the procedure required to do that !

0 Kudos
4 Replies
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @PVeli,

Thank you for posting in Intel community forum and hope this message find you well.
For the desire to use a 3rd party simulator, I believe that you can do so.
Since you are able to work with the ModelSim on the simulator, you can refer to the guide here which hopefully will get you started.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
PVeli
Beginner

I have only Intel FPGA -Modelsim version which is not compatible with OpenCL RTL simulation.

They have mentioned only running simulation with Mentor Graphics Version Only, I dont know where they are getting test bench to do simulation. Atleast if you can help me to point the test bench template, which are used, it can help to me do simulation with Third Party tool like Riviera Pro.

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @PVeli,

Apologies for the delayed in response, it seem that the host cannot find a simulator devices.
Can you please try to set the CL_CONTEXT_MPSIM_DEVICE_INTELFPGA=3 to see if the compilation will success.
Followed by aocl diagnose just to double checked on the environment.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos
BoonBengT_Intel

Hi @PVeli,

Greetings, unfortunately as we do not receive any further clarification on what is provided. Hence thread will now be transitioned to community support. If you have new queries, please feel free to open a new thread and we will be right with you. Otherwise, the community users will further help you with doubts in this thread. Pleasure having you here.

Best Wishes
BB

0 Kudos