Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
655 Discussions

Repeated CL kernel invocation hangs after some successful runs during clFinish

JButt5
Novice

It's me again and I'm facing a new issue on my way trying to use OpenCL for realtime DSP on an FPGA ;)

A quick description of my setup:

I've set up a custom BSP for my Terasic DE10 Standard. I've added a Terasic THDB_ADA AD/DA converter board to my FPGA board and created a custom Qsys component to use it. The signal path looks like this

ADA Card --> Custom Qsys Block --> Avalon Dual-Clock FIFO IP Core --> Output of FIFO exposed as IO channel to CL Kernel through BoardSpecs.xml modification --> CL kernel that gets invoked over and over and simply copies blocks of samples from channel to global memory.

My host code (using the cl C++ bindings) runs this loop on a high priority thread

while (true) { rxTxKernel.setArg (0, rxSamplesB.getCLBuffer());   if (threadShouldExit()) break;   // let the kernel work on buffer B while the host processes buffer A queue.enqueueTask (rxTxKernel); currentCallback->processRFSampleBlock (rxSamplesA, txDummyBuf); queue.finish(); // switch the buffers rxTxKernel.setArg (0, rxSamplesA.getCLBuffer());   if (threadShouldExit()) break;   // let the kernel work on buffer A while the host processes buffer B queue.enqueueTask (rxTxKernel); currentCallback->processRFSampleBlock (rxSamplesB, txDummyBuf); queue.finish(); }

The kernel currently simply copies 65536 samples from the channel to global memory.

This runs for approx 100 times successfully and then suddenly stops forever at queue.finish() (e.g. clFinish under the hood). I can then see the FIFO feeding the channel running full, as I'm displaying this via an LED on the board, so this can not be the kernel waiting because of a channel stall.

Any idea what this could be?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JButt5
Novice

For your information, I managed to get a call stack from when the queue hangs, maybe this helps people with insight into the closed sources

deadlockCallstack.png

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

Hi,

Can you attached all your .cl files and host files? I will check if this is related to a bugs for the software side.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Kenny_Tan

any update?

0 Kudos
JButt5
Novice

Hi,

sorry for the long delay, I saw that this question was not answered after coming back here after some time – thought I would have answered it. In the end I think it was an error on my side that let one of my custom I/O channels create a deadlock under some conditions, I solved it with a non-blocking channel read. However, thank you for your offer to have a look at my project

0 Kudos