Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
663 Discussions

Software License type clarification

student4
Beginner

Hi,

I see there are two types of licenses.

1)Fixed license (one of the license types for Intel Quartus Prime Pro)

2)Named academic user (one of the license types for Intel oneAPI Base toolkit)

I seek your clarification on the following

• What is the difference between the two license types?
  • I understand that fixed license can be used only in one workstation. Am I correct to say that I can have several copies of the software in different workstations but have only one copy in use at any given time?
  • My workstation allows to dual boot both windows and Linux OS. If I have a fixed license, does the license allow me to have both Linux and windows versions of the software installed in the workstation.

Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
AR_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Sir

Welcome to INTEL forum. I’m not sure on 2) Named academic user. Based on my understanding, you choose between a single user license that is fixed to a specific computer, or a multi-user floating license.

• Fixed license—A stand-alone (node-locked, single-user) license is tied to the

network interface card (NIC) ID of the computer on which you installed the

software.

• Floating license—A floating network (multi-user) license is for users running the

Intel Quartus Prime software on multiple computers connected on a network. A

license server issues licenses to computers on demand. Floating licenses are not

specific to an operating system. If you want to run the FPGA software on

additional computers, you can purchase additional seats to add to your floating

license after its original purchase.

Details refer here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/docs/programmable/683472/22-1/set-up-a-fixed-license.html

for operating system support refer here https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/programmable/support-resources/design-software/os-support.html?wapkw=operating%20system%20support

0 Kudos
AR_A_Intel
Employee

We have not heard from you and I hope that my last note clears up this matter and it can now be move forward. I will now transition this thread to community support. If you have a new question, feel free to open a new thread to get the support from Intel experts. Otherwise, the community users will continue to help you on this thread. Thank you.

0 Kudos