Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
661 Discussions

cl::Platform::getDevice() returning error for hardware platform

okramer
New Contributor I

My app finds the device platforms that include the a10_ref emulator and (presumably) the actual hardware. But in the host code, when the platform is queried for devices, only the emulator is returning a valid device. I get an error code returned from getDevices() using the hardware platform instance.

I also am seeing this:

$ aocl list-devices -------------------------------------------------------------------- Warning: No devices attached for package: /home/okramer/intelFPGA_pro/19.3/hld/board/a10_ref --------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the output from the print_platform_info() host utility function:

Number of Platforms: 4 Platform Number: 0 Platform Name: Intel(R) FPGA Emulation Platform for OpenCL(TM) Platform Profile: EMBEDDED_PROFILE Platform Version: OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 19.2 Platform Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation   Platform Number: 1 Platform Name: Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM) Platform Profile: EMBEDDED_PROFILE Platform Version: OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 19.3 Platform Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation   Platform Number: 2 Platform Name: Intel(R) CPU Runtime for OpenCL(TM) Applications Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE Platform Version: OpenCL 2.1 LINUX Platform Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation   Platform Number: 3 Platform Name: NVIDIA CUDA Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE Platform Version: OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 10.2.95 Platform Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

When I select platform 0 (emulator), I can successfully call platform.getDevices(). The output of print_device_info() is:

Number of Devices in Platform: 1 Device Number: 0 Device Name: Intel(R) FPGA Emulation Device Device Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation Is Device Available?: 1 Is Device Little Endian?: 1 Device Max Compute Units: 20 Device Max Work Item Dimensions: 3 Device Max Work Group Size: 67108864 Device Max Frequency: 3500 Device Max Mem Alloc Size: 33715263488

However, when I select platform 1, platform.getDevices() returns -1 with an empty device list. What could the problem be?

I have an Arria 10 GX dev kit plugged into the PCIe and USB of an Ubuntu 16.04 machine. Below is the host code snippet fetching platform and device:

bool getContextAndDevices(const std::string& mode, cl::Platform& platform, cl::Context& context, std::vector<cl::Device>& DeviceList) { cl_int err;   // Set up map with mode-string as key and search-string as value for searching instance // of platform in platform listing. Not sure about "sim" but not using yet: std::map<std::string, std::string> platformNames; platformNames.insert({"emu","Emulation"}); platformNames.insert({"sim","CPU"}); platformNames.insert({"hw","SDK"});   // Get list of available platforms: std::vector<cl::Platform> PlatformList; err = cl::Platform::get(&PlatformList); checkErr(err, "Get Platform List"); checkErr(PlatformList.size()>=1 ? CL_SUCCESS : -1, "cl::Platform::get"); print_platform_info(&PlatformList);   // Look for desired platform by searching platform names using unique id string in map: uint current_platform_id = get_platform_id_with_string(&PlatformList, platformNames.find(mode)->second.c_str()); printf("Using Platform: %d\n\n", current_platform_id); platform = PlatformList[current_platform_id];   // Fetch devices associated with this device. Works for "emu" but fails for "hw": //err = platform.getDevices(CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR, &DeviceList); err = platform.getDevices(CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, &DeviceList); checkErr(err, "Get Devices"); print_device_info(&DeviceList);   //Create Context context = cl::Context(DeviceList, NULL, NULL, NULL, &err); checkErr(err, "Context Constructor"); return true; }

0 Kudos
1 Solution
GRN
Novice

Hi okramer ,

What's the kernel version of your Ubuntu?

I've reproduce you issue, pls try my command line instruction (you have to use your Quartus version in commands):

1.    Check if card connected by USB: " lsusb|grep Altera "

2. Go to .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin and make "sudo killall -9 ./jtagd"

sudo ./jtagd

3 . /jtagconfig

4 ./jtagconfig --setparam 1 JtagClock 6M

5 . /jtagconfig --getparam 1 JtagClock

6. Uncompress the following file .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/hld/board/a10_ref/bringup/a10_ref_initialization.tgz to a temporary location

7. In tmp folder: .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_pgm -l

8. .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_pgm -c 1 -m JTAG -o "p;max5_150.pof@2"

9. .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_pgm -c 1 -m JTAG -o "p;top.sof"

10. sudo reboot (It must be soft reboot!)

11. Do "lspci". Altera device should be in PCI list of devices.

12. Go to .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/hld and do "source init_opencl.sh".

13. Go to .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/hld/bin and do "sudo aocl install".

14. sudo reboot. (soft reboot!) After reboot do source init_opencl.sh

15. Check the card status via "aocl diagnose". Check the temperature of the card.

16. Test PCI-E speed via "aocl diagnose all".

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
okramer
New Contributor I

I found the problem was that the board installation (via "aocl install") was somehow defective. I had to uninstall and reinstall the a10_ref board and now I can see the device. Is it normal for the board installation to be corrupted somehow?

0 Kudos
MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

This error might be due to the reason as below:

1. Installation not successful or
  2. The computer processing instruction interrupt the installation or
  3. The file/path to install driver is not available while install the driver.

Thanks

0 Kudos
GRN
Novice

Hi okramer ,

What's the kernel version of your Ubuntu?

I've reproduce you issue, pls try my command line instruction (you have to use your Quartus version in commands):

1.    Check if card connected by USB: " lsusb|grep Altera "

2. Go to .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin and make "sudo killall -9 ./jtagd"

sudo ./jtagd

3 . /jtagconfig

4 ./jtagconfig --setparam 1 JtagClock 6M

5 . /jtagconfig --getparam 1 JtagClock

6. Uncompress the following file .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/hld/board/a10_ref/bringup/a10_ref_initialization.tgz to a temporary location

7. In tmp folder: .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_pgm -l

8. .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_pgm -c 1 -m JTAG -o "p;max5_150.pof@2"

9. .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_pgm -c 1 -m JTAG -o "p;top.sof"

10. sudo reboot (It must be soft reboot!)

11. Do "lspci". Altera device should be in PCI list of devices.

12. Go to .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/hld and do "source init_opencl.sh".

13. Go to .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/hld/bin and do "sudo aocl install".

14. sudo reboot. (soft reboot!) After reboot do source init_opencl.sh

15. Check the card status via "aocl diagnose". Check the temperature of the card.

16. Test PCI-E speed via "aocl diagnose all".

0 Kudos
GRN
Novice

You should do these steps after every hard reboot (dev kit card doesn't save drivers after power switch off)

0 Kudos
okramer
New Contributor I

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04. It must have been a faulty or corrupted install. It works now.

0 Kudos