cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
okramer
New Contributor I

cl::Platform::getDevice() returning error for hardware platform

Jump to solution

My app finds the device platforms that include the a10_ref emulator and (presumably) the actual hardware. But in the host code, when the platform is queried for devices, only the emulator is returning a valid device. I get an error code returned from getDevices() using the hardware platform instance.

I also am seeing this:

$ aocl list-devices -------------------------------------------------------------------- Warning: No devices attached for package: /home/okramer/intelFPGA_pro/19.3/hld/board/a10_ref --------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the output from the print_platform_info() host utility function:

Number of Platforms: 4 Platform Number: 0 Platform Name: Intel(R) FPGA Emulation Platform for OpenCL(TM) Platform Profile: EMBEDDED_PROFILE Platform Version: OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 19.2 Platform Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation   Platform Number: 1 Platform Name: Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM) Platform Profile: EMBEDDED_PROFILE Platform Version: OpenCL 1.0 Intel(R) FPGA SDK for OpenCL(TM), Version 19.3 Platform Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation   Platform Number: 2 Platform Name: Intel(R) CPU Runtime for OpenCL(TM) Applications Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE Platform Version: OpenCL 2.1 LINUX Platform Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation   Platform Number: 3 Platform Name: NVIDIA CUDA Platform Profile: FULL_PROFILE Platform Version: OpenCL 1.2 CUDA 10.2.95 Platform Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation

When I select platform 0 (emulator), I can successfully call platform.getDevices(). The output of print_device_info() is:

Number of Devices in Platform: 1 Device Number: 0 Device Name: Intel(R) FPGA Emulation Device Device Vendor: Intel(R) Corporation Is Device Available?: 1 Is Device Little Endian?: 1 Device Max Compute Units: 20 Device Max Work Item Dimensions: 3 Device Max Work Group Size: 67108864 Device Max Frequency: 3500 Device Max Mem Alloc Size: 33715263488

However, when I select platform 1, platform.getDevices() returns -1 with an empty device list. What could the problem be?

I have an Arria 10 GX dev kit plugged into the PCIe and USB of an Ubuntu 16.04 machine. Below is the host code snippet fetching platform and device:

bool getContextAndDevices(const std::string& mode, cl::Platform& platform, cl::Context& context, std::vector<cl::Device>& DeviceList) { cl_int err;   // Set up map with mode-string as key and search-string as value for searching instance // of platform in platform listing. Not sure about "sim" but not using yet: std::map<std::string, std::string> platformNames; platformNames.insert({"emu","Emulation"}); platformNames.insert({"sim","CPU"}); platformNames.insert({"hw","SDK"});   // Get list of available platforms: std::vector<cl::Platform> PlatformList; err = cl::Platform::get(&PlatformList); checkErr(err, "Get Platform List"); checkErr(PlatformList.size()>=1 ? CL_SUCCESS : -1, "cl::Platform::get"); print_platform_info(&PlatformList);   // Look for desired platform by searching platform names using unique id string in map: uint current_platform_id = get_platform_id_with_string(&PlatformList, platformNames.find(mode)->second.c_str()); printf("Using Platform: %d\n\n", current_platform_id); platform = PlatformList[current_platform_id];   // Fetch devices associated with this device. Works for "emu" but fails for "hw": //err = platform.getDevices(CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ACCELERATOR, &DeviceList); err = platform.getDevices(CL_DEVICE_TYPE_ALL, &DeviceList); checkErr(err, "Get Devices"); print_device_info(&DeviceList);   //Create Context context = cl::Context(DeviceList, NULL, NULL, NULL, &err); checkErr(err, "Context Constructor"); return true; }

0 Kudos
1 Solution
GRN
Novice

Hi okramer ,

What's the kernel version of your Ubuntu?

I've reproduce you issue, pls try my command line instruction (you have to use your Quartus version in commands):

1.    Check if card connected by USB: " lsusb|grep Altera "

2. Go to .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin and make "sudo killall -9 ./jtagd"

sudo ./jtagd

3 . /jtagconfig

4 ./jtagconfig --setparam 1 JtagClock 6M

5 . /jtagconfig --getparam 1 JtagClock

6. Uncompress the following file .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/hld/board/a10_ref/bringup/a10_ref_initialization.tgz to a temporary location

7. In tmp folder: .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_pgm -l

8. .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_pgm -c 1 -m JTAG -o "p;max5_150.pof@2"

9. .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_pgm -c 1 -m JTAG -o "p;top.sof"

10. sudo reboot (It must be soft reboot!)

11. Do "lspci". Altera device should be in PCI list of devices.

12. Go to .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/hld and do "source init_opencl.sh".

13. Go to .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/hld/bin and do "sudo aocl install".

14. sudo reboot. (soft reboot!) After reboot do source init_opencl.sh

15. Check the card status via "aocl diagnose". Check the temperature of the card.

16. Test PCI-E speed via "aocl diagnose all".

View solution in original post

5 Replies
okramer
New Contributor I

I found the problem was that the board installation (via "aocl install") was somehow defective. I had to uninstall and reinstall the a10_ref board and now I can see the device. Is it normal for the board installation to be corrupted somehow?

MEIYAN_L_Intel
Employee

Hi,

This error might be due to the reason as below:

1. Installation not successful or
  2. The computer processing instruction interrupt the installation or
  3. The file/path to install driver is not available while install the driver.

Thanks

GRN
Novice

Hi okramer ,

What's the kernel version of your Ubuntu?

I've reproduce you issue, pls try my command line instruction (you have to use your Quartus version in commands):

1.    Check if card connected by USB: " lsusb|grep Altera "

2. Go to .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin and make "sudo killall -9 ./jtagd"

sudo ./jtagd

3 . /jtagconfig

4 ./jtagconfig --setparam 1 JtagClock 6M

5 . /jtagconfig --getparam 1 JtagClock

6. Uncompress the following file .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/hld/board/a10_ref/bringup/a10_ref_initialization.tgz to a temporary location

7. In tmp folder: .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_pgm -l

8. .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_pgm -c 1 -m JTAG -o "p;max5_150.pof@2"

9. .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/quartus/bin/quartus_pgm -c 1 -m JTAG -o "p;top.sof"

10. sudo reboot (It must be soft reboot!)

11. Do "lspci". Altera device should be in PCI list of devices.

12. Go to .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/hld and do "source init_opencl.sh".

13. Go to .../intelFPGA_pro/18.1/hld/bin and do "sudo aocl install".

14. sudo reboot. (soft reboot!) After reboot do source init_opencl.sh

15. Check the card status via "aocl diagnose". Check the temperature of the card.

16. Test PCI-E speed via "aocl diagnose all".

View solution in original post

GRN
Novice

You should do these steps after every hard reboot (dev kit card doesn't save drivers after power switch off)

okramer
New Contributor I

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04. It must have been a faulty or corrupted install. It works now.