Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
Announcements
Intel Support hours are Monday-Fridays, 8am-5pm PST, except Holidays. Thanks to our community members who provide support during our down time or before we get to your questions. We appreciate you!

Need Forum Guidance? Click here
Search our FPGA Knowledge Articles here.
506 Discussions

modelsim.ini used when running vlog in i++ compilation for cosimulation.

jmitrevs
Novice

When compiling HLS with i++ -fpga-only testfile.o , is it possible to pass a modelsim.ini that’s used for the vlog compilations?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I did not get the question, can you briefly explain what that is you are trying to achieve?

jmitrevs
Novice

Hi,

Actually I think the modelsim.ini file may be tangential to the problem. The issue that I have is that the vlog command used internally by i++ in the testbench creation phase sometimes cannot find included svh files. It seems like if I work in my home directory it can find includes but on the data drive it cannot, and I cannot explain it. Here is a simple example with a verilog file implementing an AND gate and an include file that defines FOO (which is unused). There are only two files in the directory to start, simple.sv and simple.svh.

[jmitrevs@correlator4 ~]$ cp -r vlog_test /data/jmitrevs/
[jmitrevs@correlator4 ~]$ cd vlog_test/
[jmitrevs@correlator4 vlog_test]$ vlog +incdir+. simple.sv
Model Technology ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition vlog 2020.3 Compiler 2020.07 Jul 22 2020
Start time: 16:42:39 on May 10,2021
vlog "+incdir+." simple.sv
-- Compiling module andgateTop level modules:
andgate
End time: 16:42:39 on May 10,2021, Elapsed time: 0:00:00
Errors: 0, Warnings: 0
[jmitrevs@correlator4 vlog_test]$ cd /data/jmitrevs/vlog_test/
[jmitrevs@correlator4 vlog_test]$ vlog +incdir+. simple.sv
Model Technology ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition vlog 2020.3 Compiler 2020.07 Jul 22 2020
Start time: 16:42:56 on May 10,2021
vlog "+incdir+." simple.sv
** Error: simple.sv(1): Cannot open `include file "./simple.svh".
-- Compiling module andgate
End time: 16:42:56 on May 10,2021, Elapsed time: 0:00:00
Errors: 1, Warnings: 0

Jovan

EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Have you setup your HLS compiler environment prior to execute the command? You need to initialize the HLS Compiler environment each time you start a terminal to develop your design:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/kxq1572389188277.html#pmu15723922...

Thus, you may only be able to execute in your home directory/environment.

jmitrevs
Novice

My current thinking is that Modelsim, being a 32-bit program, is having trouble being installed on a very large hard drive. When I reinstalled Modelsim to a smaller hard drive, this problem seems to go away.

Next problem:

# ** Error: (vsim-3) System call 'mmap()' failed.
# Permission denied. (errno = EACCES)
# End time: 13:57:31 on May 03,2021, Elapsed time: 0:02:19
# Errors: 1, Warnings: 6475
** Fatal: vsimk is exiting with code 9.
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

You need to have permission/administration access when running the application in your current directory or environment that you have setup.

jmitrevs
Novice

Hi,

I am the one that installed the software with my user account in my user area, so I have permission over the installation directories. What extra permission do I need? I don't want to run with root access.

Jovan

EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Could you share how you execute to get the error "# ** Error: (vsim-3) System call 'mmap()' failed."?

Could you call other example if that would work or give same error?

You could try installing and running the environment in a different directory. You would only need administration permission to install the e Intel HLS Compiler prerequisites.