Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
655 Discussions

modelsim.ini used when running vlog in i++ compilation for cosimulation.

jmitrevs
Novice

When compiling HLS with i++ -fpga-only testfile.o , is it possible to pass a modelsim.ini that’s used for the vlog compilations?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

I did not get the question, can you briefly explain what that is you are trying to achieve?

0 Kudos
jmitrevs
Novice

Hi,

Actually I think the modelsim.ini file may be tangential to the problem. The issue that I have is that the vlog command used internally by i++ in the testbench creation phase sometimes cannot find included svh files. It seems like if I work in my home directory it can find includes but on the data drive it cannot, and I cannot explain it. Here is a simple example with a verilog file implementing an AND gate and an include file that defines FOO (which is unused). There are only two files in the directory to start, simple.sv and simple.svh.

[jmitrevs@correlator4 ~]$ cp -r vlog_test /data/jmitrevs/
[jmitrevs@correlator4 ~]$ cd vlog_test/
[jmitrevs@correlator4 vlog_test]$ vlog +incdir+. simple.sv
Model Technology ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition vlog 2020.3 Compiler 2020.07 Jul 22 2020
Start time: 16:42:39 on May 10,2021
vlog "+incdir+." simple.sv
-- Compiling module andgateTop level modules:
andgate
End time: 16:42:39 on May 10,2021, Elapsed time: 0:00:00
Errors: 0, Warnings: 0
[jmitrevs@correlator4 vlog_test]$ cd /data/jmitrevs/vlog_test/
[jmitrevs@correlator4 vlog_test]$ vlog +incdir+. simple.sv
Model Technology ModelSim - Intel FPGA Edition vlog 2020.3 Compiler 2020.07 Jul 22 2020
Start time: 16:42:56 on May 10,2021
vlog "+incdir+." simple.sv
** Error: simple.sv(1): Cannot open `include file "./simple.svh".
-- Compiling module andgate
End time: 16:42:56 on May 10,2021, Elapsed time: 0:00:00
Errors: 1, Warnings: 0

Jovan

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Have you setup your HLS compiler environment prior to execute the command? You need to initialize the HLS Compiler environment each time you start a terminal to develop your design:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/kxq1572389188277.html#pmu1572392215933

Thus, you may only be able to execute in your home directory/environment.

0 Kudos
jmitrevs
Novice

My current thinking is that Modelsim, being a 32-bit program, is having trouble being installed on a very large hard drive. When I reinstalled Modelsim to a smaller hard drive, this problem seems to go away.

Next problem:

# ** Error: (vsim-3) System call 'mmap()' failed.
# Permission denied. (errno = EACCES)
# End time: 13:57:31 on May 03,2021, Elapsed time: 0:02:19
# Errors: 1, Warnings: 6475
** Fatal: vsimk is exiting with code 9.
0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

You need to have permission/administration access when running the application in your current directory or environment that you have setup.

0 Kudos
jmitrevs
Novice

Hi,

I am the one that installed the software with my user account in my user area, so I have permission over the installation directories. What extra permission do I need? I don't want to run with root access.

Jovan

0 Kudos
EBERLAZARE_I_Intel

Hi,

Could you share how you execute to get the error "# ** Error: (vsim-3) System call 'mmap()' failed."?

Could you call other example if that would work or give same error?

You could try installing and running the environment in a different directory. You would only need administration permission to install the e Intel HLS Compiler prerequisites. 

0 Kudos