Intel® High Level Design
Support for Intel® High Level Synthesis Compiler, DSP Builder, OneAPI for Intel® FPGAs, Intel® FPGA SDK for OpenCL™
661 Discussions

stream_in memory type

ost
Novice

Back in the days of hls compiler version 17.1, the "stream_in" class seemed to materialize into block mem fifos, while the later compiler versions tries to [also] utilize MLAB memory (Arria10).

Is there a way to specify what memory type to use for streams, alternatively some conditions that needs to be satisfied before going for block ram?

I can only find attributes for directing variables/arrays into specific memory type, like hls_memory_impl("type"), but this doesnt work for streams.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
SyafieqS

Hi Morten,

Any updates?

0 Kudos
ost
Novice
I have got no feedback on this issue, and I have not found anything about this in the latest Quartus Pro 20.4 HLS compiler docs.
0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Morten,

I'm checking this internally. I believe there might some updates for stream memory type and recommendation how to handle this. Will let you know.

0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Hi Morten,

I assume that you are trying to use the ihc::buffer<> parameter with their design, please tell me if this is incorrect.

There is currently no way to force HLS to choose a different FIFO technology for the stream_in FIFO buffer, however you may create a FIFO using IP catalog and place that in front of your HLS component using Platform Designer

0 Kudos
ost
Novice

Thanks for looking into this. Im hoping this will arrive in a future version. Apparently there was a change after 17.1 version and I can't find the details on this.

After 17.1, I get non functional RTL when implementing a 608bit wide, 64 deep stream, wich seems to be implemented in MLABs only. My "area analysis" report lists a few of "Memory with unknown name (address space xx)" that seems to behave wrong.

ALUTs FFs RAMs MLABs DSPs Details
  Memory with unknown name (address space 64) 0 0 0 32 0 Stall-free,\n76B requested,\n128B implemented.
  Memory with unknown name (address space 65) 0 0 0 12 0 Stall-free,\n76B requested,\n128B implemented.
  Memory with unknown name (address space 67) 0 0 0 26 0 Stall-free,\n76B requested,\n128B implemented.
  Stream 'prq_prep_pullstream' 15 30 0 1 0 608b wide with 64 elements.
0 Kudos
SyafieqS

Morten,

Do you mind if you share your code here? Could be useful for analysis

If you are using the ihc::depth parameter with a stream, and accessing it using tryRead(), there is a known issue described in the link below: Intel High Level Synthesis Compiler Pro Edition: Best Practices Guide

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/programmable/documentation/nml1505158467345.html#oeu1527014737181

0 Kudos
ost
Novice

Thanks

Unfortunately I cannot share the code as is. I would have to write a test using the same stream, but that is not on my priority list right now. As long as 17.1 compiler can build this, I have a way out.

Note:This is not the simulation not working. It is the RTL that stops working. C simulation works fine. I have not simulated RTL in modelsim cause I dont have the right testbench for that type of simulating (I draw the results visually using windows gdi, not comparing numbers)..

0 Kudos