Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

8086/8088 core

sandhya_p_
Beginner

Hi, 

I am a grad student in EE. I am looking for 8088/8086 core for my project. Project is to design a bus monitor which can interface with either 8088/8086. I searched on opencore.org but could not find. I am looking for one which has all pins exposed - ALE, RD, WR, DEN, Addr/Data etc. 

Please can someone point me in the right direction. 

Regards, 

Sandy

0 Kudos
9 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>... I am looking for 8088/8086 core for my project. Project is to design a bus monitor which can interface >>with either 8088/8086... I'm still doing 16-bit embedded programming ( however it is Not related to a bus monitoring ) for 16-bit CPUs, including a support for 16-bit MS-DOS operating systems. I'm confused by the term '...8088/8086 core...' you've used. Could you provide more details?
0 Kudos
sandhya_p_
Beginner

Project is about designing a bus monitor which will snoop traffic on data and address lines between cpu and memory. 

for cpu, we are trying to use 8086 or 8088. so i am trying to see if anyone has code either of these CPU. 

If you have any other idea, then please let me know. We are open to snoop any other kind of transactions as well. 

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I'll be absolutely honest with you. The word Snooping is like Spying or Stealing someone else ideas, achievements, or work. PS: Many years ago as a student working on a final graduate project I relied on my own ideas on how to make it. I don't think my superiors would appreciate any takeovers of outside ideas or work(s).
0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

snooping is an accepted technical term in connection with keeping cache up to date in multi-core installations.  Turning the clock back 30 years, of course, 8086/8088 didn't support such usage.

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Such a vintage processors did not support bus snooping.I am not sure if those cpus's had even on die cache.

0 Kudos
bronxzv
New Contributor II

The OP obviously mention snooping for what a logic analyser / signal analyser do when plugged on a bus

nothing to do with snoop filters (caches synchonization optimization by minimizing snoop traffic) or stealing other people ideas

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

So this is related to square wave signal analysis?

0 Kudos
bronxzv
New Contributor II

iliyapolak wrote:

So this is related to square wave signal analysis?

when I was doing hardware stuff, ages ago, these weren't really squares, more like trapezoids with lot of noise...

anyway the OP is probably using FPGAs with softcore IPs and his/her project is to design (part of) an analyser such as this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_analyzer

0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

Yes of course:)

I should have mentioned the noise components beign present in the signal.Can you recommend good book on signal theory(not heavy on math theory)?

Thank you in advance.

0 Kudos