Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

Code scales poorly with AVX

DLake1
New Contributor I

This code scales poorly with AVX on my Sandy Bridge, how can I make it more vectorizer friendly:

for (auto i = 0; i < pcount; i += 2){
	for (auto j = 0; j < pcount; j += 2){
		if (i == j) continue;
		auto px = points0 * aspect - points0 * aspect;
		auto py = points0[i + 1] - points0[j + 1];
		auto z = divisor / (px * px + py * py + offset);
		points1 = points0 + (velocities -= px * z) / aspect;
		points1[i + 1] = points0[i + 1] + (velocities[i + 1] -= py * z);
	}
}

All variables are long double.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

AVX doesn't support long double.  If you compile in double for AVX and turn on -opt-report:4 you should get some indication about vectorization (maybe you need double * __restrict points0). If you get "protects exception" you may need #pragma omp simd or #pragma vector .  If you don't want to rely on -Qprec-div- you could get some improvement by calculating 1/aspect outside the loop.  Even the AVX divide on Sandy Bridge isn't nearly as efficient as on more recent CPUs.  You may see some gains by factoring out aspect, but you should be able to use the opt-report figures for that purpose.

0 Kudos
DLake1
New Contributor I

I'm using __restrict, I changed the variables to double and moving the aspect compensation outside of the loop improved performance by about 10% but AVX still only improves performance by about 1.4x compared to disabling intrinsic functions.

"#pragma vector always" is required to vectorize the loop.

0 Kudos
areid2
New Contributor I

The way the data is packed into the points0 and points1 arrays may not be so condusive to vectorization. You're basically using AoS to store the x,y pairs interleaved in memory. The x and y points go through different calculations so they have to be grouped into different vectors to take full advantage of vector instructions. I'm not sure how well the compiler can shuffle the interleaved data into vectors and then shuffle it back to interleaved to write back to memory. You might get better performance if you can switch to SoA for the points (and velocity) data. If you can't change the data storage format for the points you might get better results by re-writing the code with intrinsics where you could shuffle/blend the data into vectors with AVX intrinsics. It could also help if you can ensure your arrays are aligned to 32 bytes.

0 Kudos
DLake1
New Contributor I

With Qvec-report6 I get "loop was not vectorized: existence of vector dependence" for the inner loop and I realize now why it thinks thats the case, the velocity is changed on each iteration, but it doesn't actually matter what order the loop is executed in! So how do I tell the compiler to ignore it?

#pragma ivdep makes no difference.

0 Kudos
areid2
New Contributor I

The intel compiler should be able to recognize the reduction idiom with the velocities (see section about sum):

https://software.intel.com/en-us/node/522572

Maybe try moving the assignments to points1 and points1[i+1] outside and after the inner loop. There isn't much point in assigning to them on every trip of inner loop since it's only the value assigned in the last trip that matters. That should speed things up in any case.

You could also use some local variables inside the outer loop instead of velocities and velocities[i+1] as your summing variables and then just copy the values to the velocities array after the inner loop. I wouldn't think this part is necessary, but if you do that the inner loop will look pretty much the same as the sum reduction idiom in the reference guide.

0 Kudos
areid2
New Contributor I

The branch in the inner loop might also impair performance a bit. You could try just removing the "if(i==j) continue;" and see if the extra few computations of the i=j case are less costly than the branch. If your offset variable can be zero then this won't work since you'll get a divide by zero, but if you can guarantee that offset isn't zero then that extra trip through the loop will just add zero to your velocities and have no effect. Might be faster than the branch.

Another way would be to split the inner loop into 2 parts for j above and below i, but the trick above might vectorize a bit better if you know offset is nonzero.

0 Kudos
DLake1
New Contributor I

This is where I am now:

if (aspect != 1.0L)
//#pragma omp parallel for simd
	for (auto i = 0; i < pcount; i += 2) points0 *= aspect;
#pragma vector always
	auto iy = i + 1;
	for (auto j = 0; j < pcount; j += 2){
		if (i == j) continue;
		auto px = points0 - points0;
		auto py = points0[iy] - points0[j + 1];
		auto z = divisor / (px * px + py * py);
		velocities -= px * z;
		velocities[iy] -= py * z;
	}
	points1 = points0 + velocities;
	points1[iy] = points0[iy] + velocities[iy];
}
if (aspect != 1.0L)
	for (auto i = 0; i < pcount; i += 2) points1 /= aspect;

AVX scales about 1.84x and multithreading with "#pragma omp parallel for simd" scales amazingly well!

"if (i == j) continue;" is required to prevent a NaN.

I no longer need the offset.

Thanks for all the help.

0 Kudos
areid2
New Contributor I

That looks like it could be vectorized pretty well now. The operations on points0, points1 and velocities are easily vectorized and the calculation of z should be able to use a horizontal add instruction. It'd be interesting to see the assembly generated by the compiler to see how good it does at vectorizing this.

In the case that aspect != 1 the extra iterations through points1 and points0 could end up causing a larger performance penalty than you gain in the vectorization though. For example, if points0 and points1 are too big for the cache the extra load and store on each of those arrays will be really costly.

Not sure how far you want to push this optimization, but you could try getting rid of the branch inside your inner loop by splitting it like this:

for (auto j = 0; j < i; j += 2){}
for (auto j = i+2; j < pcount; j += 2){}

0 Kudos
DLake1
New Contributor I

The gravity equation make more sense to me now so I cleaned up the variables a bit:

auto iy = i + 1;
	for (auto j = 0; j < i; j += 2){
		auto f = m / (px * px + py * py);
		velocities -= px * f;
		velocities[iy] -= py * f;
	}
	for (auto j = i + 2; j < pcount; j += 2){
		auto f = m / (px * px + py * py);
		velocities -= px * f;
		velocities[iy] -= py * f;
	}
	points1 = points0 + velocities;
	points1[iy] = points0[iy] + velocities[iy];
}

no gravitational constant is needed because its not physically accurate just an experiment.

I'm only using something in the order of 2048 points which is 32KB so it should all fit in the L2 cache

This is the assembly for f (previously z):

vmovupd ymm4, ymmword ptr [rip+0xce19]
lea ebp, ptr [rax+0x1]
vmovsd xmm3, qword ptr [rip+0xce3e]
vmovups xmmword ptr [rsp+0x20], xmm10
vmovups xmmword ptr [rsp+0x30], xmm11
vmovups xmmword ptr [rsp+0x40], xmm12
shr ebp, 0x1f
vmovups xmmword ptr [rsp+0x50], xmm13
vmovups xmmword ptr [rsp+0x60], xmm14
vmovups xmmword ptr [rsp+0x70], xmm15
lea ebp, ptr [rax+rbp*1+0x1]
sar ebp, 0x1
vmulpd ymm11, ymm10, ymm10
vmulpd ymm12, ymm5, ymm5
vaddpd ymm11, ymm11, ymm12
vdivpd ymm12, ymm4, ymm11
vmulsd xmm14, xmm12, xmm12
vmulsd xmm15, xmm5, xmm5
vaddsd xmm14, xmm14, xmm15
vdivsd xmm15, xmm3, xmm14
vmovupd ymm4, ymmword ptr [rip+0xcc22]
lea r10d, ptr [rax+0x1]
vmovsd xmm3, qword ptr [rip+0xcc46]
vmovups xmmword ptr [rsp+0x20], xmm10
vmovups xmmword ptr [rsp+0x30], xmm11
vmovups xmmword ptr [rsp+0x40], xmm12
shr r10d, 0x1f
vmovups xmmword ptr [rsp+0x50], xmm13
vmovups xmmword ptr [rsp+0x60], xmm14
vmovups xmmword ptr [rsp+0x70], xmm15
lea r10d, ptr [rax+r10*1+0x1]
sar r10d, 0x1

Now the limit is px * f, VTune thinks it has a high CPI of about 1.7 but reports no memory problems

vmovsd xmm11, qword ptr [r8+r11*8]
vxorpd xmm15, xmm15, xmm15
vxorps xmm5, xmm5, xmm5
vmovsd xmm2, xmm15, xmm11
vinsertf128 ymm2, ymm2, xmm5, 0x1
vmulpd ymm10, ymm10, ymm12    <-- high cpi
vsubpd ymm2, ymm2, ymm10
vextractf128 xmm11, ymm2, 0x1
vaddpd xmm12, xmm2, xmm11
vunpckhpd xmm14, xmm12, xmm12
vaddsd xmm11, xmm12, xmm14
vmulsd xmm12, xmm12, xmm15
vsubsd xmm11, xmm11, xmm12
vmovsd qword ptr [r8+r11*8], xmm11

0 Kudos
TimP
Honored Contributor III

Stall cycles at px*f (and high effectiveness of threading) presumably are the result of the expected delay in availability of the division result.

Could you consider 32 byte alignments?

0 Kudos
DLake1
New Contributor I

Redundant post.

0 Kudos