Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.
1093 Discussions

Illegal Instruction -- Intel SDE with AES instructions

rksm
Beginner
Hello, having a problem with the emulator giving me an Illegal Instruction exception when I run a program that use the AES intrinisics. I compiled it with the latest icpc version, running on Ubuntu 9.10. I'm used the same code and emulator under Ubuntu 9.04, and it was working/running. Any ideas as to what I can do it get it working, or at least point me out in a debugging direction to see how I could...

Cheers,

Scott.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkC_Intel
Hi Scott, Thank you for your bug report. I'll find a Ubuntu9.10 machine and try it out and report back. What kind of microprocessor are you using? (Given that the public SDE was released about a year before Oct 2009 release of Ubuntu9.10, SDE was obviously not tested there.)

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos
rksm
Beginner
Hi Scott, Thank you for your bug report. I'll find a Ubuntu9.10 machine and try it out and report back. What kind of microprocessor are you using? (Given that the public SDE was released about a year before Oct 2009 release of Ubuntu9.10, SDE was obviously not tested there.)

Regards,
Mark

It's a Kentsfield -- Core 2 Quad Q6600.

not sure if it helps, I just noticed this at the top before the Stack trace starts..

A:Source/pin/injector_nonmac/auxvector.cpp:CopyAux:246: unexpected AUX VEC type 25

0 Kudos
MarkC_Intel
I installed a Ubuntu 9.10 64b VM. I had to install the 32b compatibility libraries so that the "sde" driver program would work.

The bad news is that SDE 1.70 does not work on Ubuntu 9.10 because of a change to the linux kernel. I observed a pin assertion about an unsupported AUX vector entry: "A:Source/pin/injector_nonmac/auxvector.cpp:CopyAux:246: unexepected AUX VEC type 25". Is that what you see? Or do you see something else? If you see something else, please send your full command line, kit name and error message. If you are seeing an illegal instruction in your application SDE usually emits the 15 bytes of the program where it detected a problem.

The good news is that the latest SDE that I am preparing to release does appear to work on Ubuntu 9.10. Ubuntu 9.10 is not currently one one of the official platforms that Pin supports (SDE is built upon Pin). I ran a few tests and they worked. I will try my full AVX regression test suite but that'll take a while. No date yet for the udpated SDE release, but I'm working on it. Hopefully soon.

Regards,
Mark
0 Kudos