Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

Microinstruction Format

dargueta
Beginner

Hi, I'm interested in writing a utility that can be used to test processor schematics, microcode programs, and operating systems. However, I can't find documentation anywhere for Intel's microinstruction formats (i.e. instruction width and fields, etc.)for any of their processors. Is that proprietary information, or is there someplace I can get it?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
SHIH_K_Intel
Employee

The micro-operation representation that underlies the instruction set varies from one generation to another and may undergo minor changes within a given generation. As such, micro-op representation are not part of the instruction set architecture. Your intent to test processor semantics should be done through the instruction set architecture that are documented in

http://developer.intel.com/products/processor/manuals/index.htm

0 Kudos
dargueta
Beginner

But there has to be some source for BIOS manufacturers, right?

0 Kudos
SHIH_K_Intel
Employee
BIOS uses the ISA to communicate to the CPU :)
0 Kudos
dargueta
Beginner
Eh...apparently I didn't do enough research when I came up with this idea. What does ISA stand for, and how does it work (in brief, ifit's not too much trouble.I can Google the rest). I was under the impression that the CPU loaded a microinstruction from a hardcoded address in memory (mapped to the BIOS), and that microinstruction went into the control store where it was decoded and executed.
0 Kudos