Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

SDE Support for Knight's Mill

David_L_4
Beginner

Hi,

I'm trying to use the SDE to emulate the KNM chip.  The release notes for SDE 7.58.0 say that this should be possible with the -knm flag.  However, when running 

sde -knm -- ./binary_file

I get the following error:

An error was detected processing the command line.
Add "-long-help" to the Intel(R) SDE command line to see the options knobs.
BAD OPTION: -knm

Is this a simple mistake on my part or has the KNM chip not been fully implemented?  Thanks very much.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
What version are you talking about? For Windows, for Linux, or for MacOS? >>...The release notes for SDE 7.58.0 say that this should be possible with the -knm flag... I checked SDE 7.58.0 installed on my Linux Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and it doesn't have the -knm option.
0 Kudos
David_L_4
Beginner

Hi Sergey,

I am using SDE 8.4.0 for Linux.  The release note I am referencing is on this webpage: https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-software-development-emulator-release-notes 

Specifically, the second note under "2017-01-23 version 7.58.0."

0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I am using SDE 8.4.0 for Linux. Hi David, Thank you. I didn't know that a new version for Linux is already released.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I see what you're talking about. >> >>2017-01-23 version 7.58.0 >> >> - Added support to run Intel SDE on Sierra Mac OS (10.12). Refer to the main Intel SDE page for system configuration instructions. >> - Added emulation support for the vector instructions for deep learning. There instructions are supported under the -knm chip. >> It looks like an error in release notes, or a bug in binaries.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
I don't see that option with Sde 8.4.0... ... ubuntu@ubuntu-vm:~$ sde64 -version Intel(R) Software Development Emulator. Version: 8.4.0 external Copyright (C) 2008-2016, Intel Corporation. All rights reserved. ubuntu@ubuntu-vm:~$ ubuntu@ubuntu-vm:~$ sde64 -help-long | grep knm ubuntu@ubuntu-vm:~$ ubuntu@ubuntu-vm:~$ sde64 -help-long | grep kn -knob_check [default 1] Enable/disable the command line knob validity checking. Data alignment checker knobs Call Stack knobs Repeatable knob to specify specific images to check. Controller knobs the CPUID definition through knobs and the two methods can't be mixed. Debugtrace knobs -knl_emulate [default 0] FP/INT data flow checker knobs Basic block profile knobs Repeatable knob to enable selective memory access sizes Mix knobs This knob does nothing anymore. DEPRECATED! Mix Instruction Length knobs Intel(R) Memory Protection Extensions knobs '-log:exclude:...' knobs.] multiprocess tracing. Unless this knob is specified, the default pool IVB RDRAND and BDW RDSEED knobs Region state knobs SSE operation counter/checker knobs ubuntu@ubuntu-vm:~$ ubuntu@ubuntu-vm:~$ sde64 -help-long | grep knl -knl_emulate [default 0] ...
0 Kudos
MarkC_Intel

The short chip options are in "..../sde -help" output. Looks like the -knm option is missing from the current release. The sde dev team will look at this when they are back next week. Thanks for the bug report

0 Kudos
AdyT_Intel

The KNM chip is not fully supported it by this version of SDE.

0 Kudos
David_L_4
Beginner

Thanks for the info, Ady, Mark, and Sergey.

Can we expect a release with KNM support in the near future?  Does KNM emulation already exist in the internal SDE versions?

Thanks very much for your help.

0 Kudos