Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.
1093 Discussions

SDE - how to run multi-threaded programs with 2MB TLB..

twilkens
Beginner
Hi,
I'd like to run some binaries in SDE that are multi-threaded and use large 2MB TLB pages. Can somone please let me know what options to use. I looked a the help and found that somewhat confusing for a first time users. The -help provides 2 other options -phelp and -thelp. I see multi-threading options in -phelp but couldn't get the tool to recognize the switches.

The tool is very nice. Also.. I found that FMAC operations in the v 1.13 and 1.6 in which the source 2 was from memory were incorrectly modeled. If all source arguments are registers.. then it is modeled accurately. I've not tried in v 1.7.. though thought I'd contribute this in case it wasn't known. Thanks in advance for any help..

Tim Wilkens
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MarkC_Intel
Quoting - twilkens
Hi,
I'd like to run some binaries in SDE that are multi-threaded and use large 2MB TLB pages. Can somone please let me know what options to use. I looked a the help and found that somewhat confusing for a first time users. The -help provides 2 other options -phelp and -thelp. I see multi-threading options in -phelp but couldn't get the tool to recognize the switches.

The tool is very nice. Also.. I found that FMAC operations in the v 1.13 and 1.6 in which the source 2 was from memory were incorrectly modeled. If all source arguments are registers.. then it is modeled accurately. I've not tried in v 1.7.. though thought I'd contribute this in case it wasn't known. Thanks in advance for any help..

Tim Wilkens

Hi Tim, maybe I'm not understanding, but your page size is an O/S issue. SDE is a user-level program. Are you have a problem with some system call failing when you run it under SDE? Why do you think SDE cares about the page size?

Please try the 1.7 SDE. If you still have problems, please post the input and output values (hex preferably) and the hex bytes of the instruction (and indicate 32b or 64b).

Regards,
Mark

0 Kudos
twilkens
Beginner

Hi Tim, maybe I'm not understanding, but your page size is an O/S issue. SDE is a user-level program. Are you have a problem with some system call failing when you run it under SDE? Why do you think SDE cares about the page size?

Please try the 1.7 SDE. If you still have problems, please post the input and output values (hex preferably) and the hex bytes of the instruction (and indicate 32b or 64b).

Regards,
Mark

Mark,
I found that disallowing 2MB pages to be used for stack, text or data segments fixes this. 1.70 SDE can now run the large page binaries. Just disallowing the heap to use large pages wasn't enough.

I'll let you know if I find any further issues to SDE..

Tim
0 Kudos
Dny
Beginner
Quoting - twilkens

Mark,
I found that disallowing 2MB pages to be used for stack, text or data segments fixes this. 1.70 SDE can now run the large page binaries. Just disallowing the heap to use large pages wasn't enough.

I'll let you know if I find any further issues to SDE..

Tim

Hello Tim,

Look at the following links to use the huge pages (2 MB) for your application.

http://unixfoo.blogspot.com/2007/10/hugepages.html
http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/systems/library/es-lop-leveragepages/

Its depend on your environment rather than your application.
Hope this will help

Regards,
Dny
0 Kudos