Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.
1093 Discussions

Visual Studio 2012 Release Candidate with support for Haswell new instructions

Thomas_W_Intel
Employee
Microsoft is providing a release candidate of Visual Studio 2012. It comes with support for the new instructions that will be implemented on Haswell.

For those who are new to this, I've written a How-To Write your first program with Haswell new instructions.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
Not so related to the topic ,but VS 2012 will also integrate WDK environment and windbg.
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
Thomas, that's great news. Excellent article.
I'm still waiting for MS to include AVX and overall SIMD support in .NET managed code. Mono could do it for some SIMD instructions, so it would be great to see that support for managed code. It would be great to optimize C# applications with SIMD instructions.
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I

I'm still waiting for MS to include AVX and overall SIMD support in .NET managed code

You can always use a native code.This is the reason that I completely abandoned Java programming for my scientific libraryand moved to C/C++ and sse/sse2 assembly.
0 Kudos
gaston-hillar
Valued Contributor I
@iliyapolak,
Exactly! In fact, in order to take advantage of modern CPUs, if you work on managed code, it is always necessary to use some additional libraries.
That's why I'm a big fan of Intel Math Kernel Libary. I can call it from C# when I need to combine the best performance with developer productivity. :)
0 Kudos
Bernard
Valued Contributor I
@Gaston
By combining C# and highly efficient library like MKL your approach is the best of both worlds.Despite that Java JVM does supports SSE/SSE2 I will be using managhed code only for multithreaded application,because for me it is a lot of easier than start to learn windows raw threads.
0 Kudos