Intel® ISA Extensions
Use hardware-based isolation and memory encryption to provide more code protection in your solutions.

intel xe composer compiler with AVX code

semsem_h_
Beginner

Are there any cases the intel compiler gives worst performance than other compilers especially visualstudio compiler v120. When I compiled a sample of matrix multiplication with intel xe composer 2013 sp1 compiler using inline assembly avx code with visual c 2013 ultimate  the performance of intel compiler is bad than the visual studio compiler 120. Can anyone help me what is the reasons to that?

my machine is intel core i5

Thank you

0 Kudos
2 Replies
TimP
Honored Contributor III

I haven't seen a case like that, but there are (usually) small differences in the way the various compilers deal with simd intrinsics. For example, icl may change generated code according to /arch, while gcc may be more influenced by unroll settings. So an actual example, including your preferred settings, should help.

As icl covers many of the important cases of matrix multiplication in the performance libraries, it seems relatively unusual that intensive intrinsics coding would be justified. 

0 Kudos
semsem_h_
Beginner

thanks for your replying

i didn't use any libraries i write my own hand code using inline assembly and i surprised that the performance using visual studio compiler is better than icl compiler!

0 Kudos