Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Access violation with ippiHoughProbLine_8u32f_C1R

short__brian
Beginner

Running into issues with IPP 2019.3.203, but not specific to this release, and access violation using ippiHoughProbLine.

Using

Windows 10 1809 17763.475

Visual Studio 2017 15.9.12. 

Processor Intel Xeon CPU E5-2623 v3 @ 3.00GHz

Attached is an example solution reproducing the issue.

Any help with this issue would be appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Ivan_G_Intel1
Employee

Hello, Brian!

When using a BMP file as an image, CImage::GetBits() returns memory address which points to the bottom line in memory (in BMP format, by the standard, scan lines are stored bottom to top instead of top to bottom). Because of that CImage::GetPitch() returns you a negative pitch which should be used without taking its absolute value.

An example solution is in the attachment.

Always glad to help.

Kind regards,

Ivan Galanin.

0 Kudos
short__brian
Beginner

Thanks for your quick response.   In the reproduction I used an ATL image class and didn’t notice the buffer being bottom up.  Your suggestion worked, however if I attempt to use the image as top down is where I get the original exception.  In the example case if I change it so it is top-down and the step is positive I get a read access violation.  This mirrors what happens in my application however using your suggestion and treating the image a bottom-up seems to resolve the issue.

auto step = image.GetStepSize();

// make bottom-up

Ipp8u* imgBuffer = (Ipp8u*)image.GetBuffer() + ((imageSize.height - 1) * step);

step = -step;

Any thoughts on why top down is not working?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Ivan_G_Intel1
Employee

Hello, Brian!

Thank you for your feedback!

We have analyzed the problem, there is an issue with IPP, which we will fix in the upcoming releases.

Best regards,
Ivan Galanin.

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

I checked the problem on my side (win10, 64 bit, IPP 2019 u4). Everything passed well.

here is the VS2017 Output:

The thread 0x5d4 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
HoughProbLine.cpp(63) : atlTraceGeneral - ippMalloc_8u_L... 0000000006BA4080
HoughProbLine.cpp(67) : atlTraceGeneral - ippMalloc_8u_L array... 00000000001E6D40
The thread 0x5184 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0x1c28 has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0xb7c has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The thread 0xb6c has exited with code 0 (0x0).
The program '[21108] ProbHoughC5.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

I also added to the main function this code to print version of IPP used:

const IppLibraryVersion* lib = ippiGetLibVersion();
  printf("\t ======================================================================== \n");
  printf("\t\t version of IPP is:   %s %s %d.%d.%d.%d\n", lib->Name, lib->Version,
      lib->major, lib->minor, lib->majorBuild, lib->build);
  printf("\t ======================================================================== \n");

and here is the console output:

========================================================================
                 version of IPP is:   ippIP AVX2 (l9) 2019.0.4 (r62443) 2019.0.4.62443
         ========================================================================

Forums\IPP\ipp_u809796\ProbHoughC5\x64\Debug\ProbHoughC5.exe (process 21300) exited with code 0.
Press any key to close this window . . .

0 Kudos