Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Fractal Processing of Image

wolverine_logan
Beginner
I have seen in this Forum a lot of messages about encoding and decoding video and audio, but seen no thing about Fractal compression of Images, video and audio. What can you say about these technologies.
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

do you know any commercial implementation of fractal compression algorithms in image/video/audio codecs?

Vladimir

0 Kudos
wolverine_logan
Beginner
No. I hadn't found commercial programms, but I have two simple programms. These programms are old (about 10 years). Modern processors with SIMD, and 80 cores can work very fast.
0 Kudos
__C_
Beginner

Microsoft supports the Fractal image format in the clipboard.

CFSTR_MIME_FRACTALS
TEXT("application/fractals")
Fractal image format (.fif) MIME type.

0 Kudos
__C_
Beginner

Here's a recent article that may be of interest.

International Journal of Scientific & Engineering Research, Volume 5, Issue 4, April-2014 281
A New Time Reduction Encoding Scheme for Contourlet based Fractal Image Compression
Vidhyalakshmi M.K, Surya S, Dr. S Lakshmi

A new Fractal Image Compression scheme is proposed to improve the image quality at higher compression ratio and speeding up the compression algorithm using Contourlet algorithm along with Genetic algorithm, providing the best solution for the drawbacks such as Low compression ratio, and large processsing time.

0 Kudos