Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

H264 encoder high performance issue

Amol_A_
Beginner

Hi,

I built IPP H264 encoder using the samples with static multithreading. I found very high CPU utilization even with m_iThreads = 1.

Can you help me to resolve this.

Thanks and Regards

Amol

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Chao_Y_Intel

Amol,

There are two layer threading for the UMC: the high level the UMC threadings,  and IPP internal threading.

You also need to disable Intel IPP internal threading:  for example, by calling ippSetNumThreads(1).

Thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos
Amol_A_
Beginner

Hi Chao,

Thanks for your quick reply.

I also checked the CPU load with ippSetNumThreads(1). But the CPU load is still very high. It is 30-40 % on normal desktop machine.

Desktop Machine Configurations are:

1. RAM: 4GB

2. Processor: Intel(R)Core(TM) i5-2400 CPU @3.10GHz

Can you please suggest anything else to improve the CPU load?

Thanks

Amol

0 Kudos
Igor_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Amol,

the best way is to use Intel Media SDK.

regards, Igor

0 Kudos
Roman_T_
New Contributor I

Igor Astakhov (Intel) wrote:

Hi Amol,

the best way is to use Intel Media SDK.

regards, Igor

Hi, Igor!

Does the current version of Media SDK have any tools to write video to standard containers? (i.e. *.mp4, *.avi, *.asf)

Best regards,

Roman

0 Kudos
Igor_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Roman,

in the current version of Media SDK that is available publicaly (2013 R2) there are no any muxers. It is not difficult to integrate into one application MSDK and splitters/muxers from, for example, FFmpeg - there is an example on this in the Media SDK Tutorial. In the next version of Media SDK (will be available publicaly in the ~beggining of 2014) a library of splitters/muxers will be added (with API that is compatible with MSDK) - so a lot improvements will be available in the next version.

regards, Igor

0 Kudos
Amol_A_
Beginner

Hi Igor,

Sorry for the late reply.

The performance of Intel Media SDK is very good and CPU load is also very low.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Regards

Amol

0 Kudos
Amol_A_
Beginner

Hi Igor,

As per my understanding to use IPP we need to buy the licence. Is there any licence for intel media SDK too which we have to buy?

Regards

Amol

0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Amol,

As far as I know, the Windows version of Media SDK is free (Linux not). Look at Media SDK web page.

Regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos