Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Help needed from Vladimir Dudnik

junaidfcs
Beginner
Dear Vladimir Dudnik,

Two or three days ago,I started a thread titled CPU cycle counts on PXA255. But I did not get any replies yet. By the way, on the intel site (do not remember exact URL now) I found the sample program named getclocks.cpp that can do what I needed.
As I told earlier I need to run this on PXA255 processor. From your comments from another post where you said ipp version of ixp will work for PXA255. So, I downloaded the l_ipp_ixp_p_5.3.3.075.tgz for linux. I have installed arm-linux-gcc v3.3.2 on on my current x386 machine with Suse linux 10.2. Normally I compile/build executables for all of my programs that I need to run on PXA255 using this arm-linux-gcc on my pc and then move just these executables to the device having PXA255. So I have also installed the above downloaded ipp 5.3 on my pc with suse10.2.

After installation of ipp, I read the /opt/intel/ipp/5.3.3.075/ixp/doc/Getting_Started.htm. In this doc, it says you will find ippvarsixp.sh in the tools/env directory that sets your lib, include, and path environment variables for Intel IPP. I did not find ippvarsixp.sh but two others ippvarsixple.sh and ippvarsixpbe.sh. Any ways I run them through the terminal. Now after that I am supposing ipp paths have been set. Now after this when I try to compile/build that sample getclocks.cpp program with command "arm-linux-gcc getclocks.cpp", it do not recongnize neither stdafx.h and ipp.h and error message is "No such file or directory"

Where I m doing wrong. Can you plz guide me?

Thanks,
Junaid
0 Kudos
4 Replies
junaidfcs
Beginner
I put my souce file getclocks.cpp in the include directory then it got the ipp.h. I t means the shell script in tools/env not setting the include or lib paths. But the script file mentioned in the getting started doc is missing.

I found another some source files are missing altogether. ipp.h includes ippcp.h but this ippcp.h and stdafx.h (included in my sample program) do not exist in this include directory.

I think either I m doing wrong altogether or there is some issue with ipp .3 version of xcale processors.

Please help....

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Well there are some mistakes from both sides...

It is our mistake that ipp.h file includes ippcp.h file which is part of IPP crypto package distributed as a separate download due to legal reasons. There are twoscripts which should set up the IPP for IXP environment for Linux package. One which ends with 'le' is for little-endian OS and the second one, which ends with 'be' is for big-endian OS. In IPP for IXP relase notes it is stated which OS we do support. For Linux it is Montavista Linux OS and tool chain. You might not be able to use IPP for IXP with gcc tool chain.

I do not know what the sample you mention, but stdafx.h is a standard file for Windows MFC precompiled headers. Of course it is not available on Linux.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
christian_daschill

I'm a little confused: I found posts where Mr. Dudnik states PXA255 is not supported with IPP 4.x, better to use 3.x, but I have 4.1 working with arm-linux-gcc 3.3.2. When I try to link with the IPP 5.3 libraries, I get errors concerning the VFP instructions. What is the latest IPP version which supports GCC and where can I download it? I can only find links to download IPP 5.3.

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Please see IPP for IXP release notes, we never said it support gcc toolchain. For Xscale architecture on Linux IPP support Montavista Linux toolchain

Vladimir

0 Kudos