Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6709 Discussions

IPP 6.0.0.62 Mpeg4 decoder performance is slower than FFMPEG library

m_srinivasrao
Beginner
Hi,
I replaced my FFMPEG mpeg4 decoder with Intel IPP mpeg4 decoder. When I measured performances of both, I found that IPP decoding is atleast 20% slower than FFMPEG. Initially I suspected that there must be something that I am missing. I am not sure what? Later, I learnt from some more people that IPP 6.0.x is slower than 5.3. Is it true? If not, can anyone suggest something as to why I am seeing such a degraded performance.

FYI- I am using VS 2008 compiler with _OPENMP flag enabled in pre-processor definitions.

Please help!

Thanks,
Srinivas.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi Shrinivas,

first of all, of course IPP 6.0 is not slower than previous versions. If you find performance degradation on some function please provide us with simple test case we will consider this as a bug report.

Re your MPEG4 performance experiments:
just to enable _OPENMP macroduring compilationis not a right way to turn on OpenMP threading. Please refer to your compiler documentation for more details.
Second, if you are looking for the best possible performance I would recommend you to compile MPEG4 code with Intel compiler.
Note, in IPP sample package you may find IPP audio-video-codecs sample, which contain simple_player application. What the performance you observe with this application built with Intel compiler? (Check simple_player command line parameters on how to report performance data)

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
m_srinivasrao
Beginner
Hi Vladimir,
Thanks for your reply. Also I am sorry I couldn't thank you earlier as I was on my vacation. For now the organisation has decided to use FFMPEG because of the time crunch that it is facing. I will definetely try out your suggestions as I get some time to breathe.

Thanks a lot once again for the help and pardon my delayed/not-so-welcomed response.

Regards,
Srinivas.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Thanks Srinivas,

hope you will find an opportunity to utilize IPP MPEG4 codec in future. And you are welcome to provide feedback on IPP libraries and samples.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos