Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

IPP 7.1 Picnic.exe saves Jpeg when choosing Jpeg2000

Thomas_Jensen1
Beginner

If you download the IPP samples 7.1.1.013, you receive precompiled binaries of the Picnic.exe (32-bit) sample application, using IPP 7.1 libraries.

I was testing a bug in my app, using IPP 7.1,  that seemed to be always saving to Jpeg2000 losslessly, so I wanted to verify with Picnic, but it will not save Jpeg2000 at all. The output is a proper Jpeg file.

It seems Intel did not test Picnic before shipping, or that I have a bug in my system I havent found yet.

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Hi Thomas,

You as usual right. When we were removing legacy codecs (as PNM, TIFF) this OnFileSave function missed from our attention. There are switch cases, which choose the requested file save format. The constants in cases should be updated too. Now as I see, the JP2 format corresponds to "Save as PNG" menu item )).

This was in the middle of stopping of Picnic activity and was not tested. Sorry about that.

It should be fixed, but unfortunately we have no further plans regarding picnic.

Regards,
Sergey 

0 Kudos
Roman_T_
New Contributor I

Sergey Khlystov (Intel) wrote:

Hi Thomas,

You as usual right. When we were removing legacy codecs (as PNM, TIFF) this OnFileSave function missed from our attention. There are switch cases, which choose the requested file save format. The constants in cases should be updated too. Now as I see, the JP2 format corresponds to "Save as PNG" menu item )).

This was in the middle of stopping of Picnic activity and was not tested. Sorry about that.

It should be fixed, but unfortunately we have no further plans regarding picnic.

Regards,
Sergey 

Hi, Sergey!

Does it mean that UIC library is legacy now?

Regards,
Roman

0 Kudos
Thomas_Jensen1
Beginner

Thanks, I can live with selecting PNG, as I only wanted to use Picnic to verify something.

Sergey, if you are able to tell, isn't an app like Picnic perfect as a testbench for IPP imaging code? I mean, won't Intel developers need some kind of app to test with?

Or will there be a new app for this?

0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Thomas, thank you for a very interesting and actual topic.

We are currenlty thinking about developing some kind of benchmark application (or, testbench framework) to compare/show the performance difference not only between different IPP functions, or CPU architecture, but also to show/understand what platform computing device is better for particular image processing or computer vision method. Here I mean IPP on CPU and IPP Async on GPU. May be OpenCL approach also.

And, here we sntrongly need feedback on what particular IPP functionality is interested for customers. What of IPP is of demand? What image processing/computer vision workloads to test. Some information we can obtain looking through the forum, some we get from our vendors. Any feedback is highly appreciated.

If you have any thoughts on this topic, please share with us. This is also an invitation for discussion for everybody reading this :).

Regards,
Sergey

0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Roman T. wrote:

Does it mean that UIC library is legacy now?

Hi Roman,

Not legacy, but not of first priority. So, please do not expect active development here.

Regards,
Sergey 

0 Kudos
Thomas_Jensen1
Beginner

I actually like Picnic as a testing image framework, except for its use of QT, but I do understand that is being used for cross platform use, but I only use Windows.

I never used the low level ippdemo, as I code my own tests. I do however use the high level Picnic, to test stuff I think is wrong, or as documentation.

I'm glad a new framework is worked on, and that it can also test GPU use. Waiting for a beta...

0 Kudos
Sergey_K_Intel
Employee

Thomas, could you please, by the way, describe what kind of image testing do you do with Picnic? Its functionality is quite narrow, benchmariking abilities are not so good. What of Picnic is useful for your needs? Using it as image file viewer?

Regards,
Sergey 

0 Kudos
Thomas_Jensen1
Beginner

I'm not using Picnic as i viewver, except when I want to test a problem with a strange image file.

I use ACDSee as my preferred viewer, as it also does 16u files, Jpeg2000 files, and is very handy.

No, since I use codecs in my own app (based on UIC), I sometimes stumble upon problems, and then use Pixnic as a reference, as it should do it problerly!

0 Kudos