Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6709 Discussions

IPP 9.1: ippiFilterGetBufSize_64f_C1R returning 0 buffer size for scalar kernel.

Anchit_D_
Beginner

Hello,

I am seeing an issue with the ippiFilterGetBufSize_64f_C1R function, which returns a buffer size of 0 for a edge case - scalar kernels. This is seen only on SSE4 machines with IPP 9.1. This was not seen in IPP8.1.

This issue can be reproduced with the following function call, with a Kernel size of (1,1) and a ROI width of 2.

ippiFilterGetBufSize_64f_C1R(kernelSize, dstRoiSize.width, &pBufferSize);

Is this a bug in IPP9.1?

Thanks

-Anchit

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Anchit_D_
Beginner

Update: This issue is seen with 1-D Kernels as well. 1x3 Kernel in my reproduction steps.

0 Kudos
Andrey_B_Intel
Employee

Hi Anchit.

Returned size 0 is not a bug. Sometimes for small kernels or image sizes or even for some CPU optimization the internal buffer is not required. It is normal situation.

0 Kudos
Anchit_D_
Beginner

Hi Andrey,

Thank you for your reply.

I understand the buffer Size of '0'. But, the issue I'm now facing is that -  ippiFilter_64f_C1R still  needs a valid pointer to a buffer. For cases where ippiFilterGetBufSize_64f_C1R returns the buffer size as 0, what is the best sized buffer to pass to the function to ensure accurate resuts?

Thanks for your help.

-Anchit

0 Kudos
Zhen_Z_Intel
Employee

Hi Anchit,

I reproduced your problem and it really happens in IPP9.* and IPP 2017 beta. But in IPP8.* the Buffer Size could be get with proper return even Kernel Size is {1,1}. I know you would like to malloc proper Buffer size for ippiFilter function in next step. I have already posted your issue to developer team, we will discuss if the returned size with 0 actually affect following use for Filter. Thank you.

Best regards,
Fiona 

0 Kudos