Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

IPP, Marvell, Intel XScale and other related issues.

adi_shavit
Beginner
Hi,

I have some problems figuring out IPP compatibility.
Intel sold the PXA embedded XScale processor line to Marvell about 2 years ago. Marvell is still prducing these chips including the new PXA3xx which was designed by Intel.

IPP 5.3 supports Intel's XScale IXP4xx network processors.

Now here's my confusion.
Why would IPP support the the Intel IXP4xx network processor? Why would any one want to do image processing or computer vision on a network processor?
Is this processor actually an application processor?

On the other hand, is IPP 5.3 compatible with Marvell's (designed by and previously Intel's) application processors?

Marvell does not seem to have their own full version of IPP.
What will happen if I ran IPP 5.3 on a PXAxxx processor?

Please advise,
Thanks,
Adi

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi Adi,

We do not test IPP for IXP on PXAxxx processors. Most probably support for IXP will be removed in the next versions of IPP.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
adi_shavit
Beginner
Hi Vladimir,

It's been a long time since I posted. Thanks for your candid answer.

I am sorry to hear that you intend to drop XScale compatibility.
There are many embedded systems and boards that could have benefitted from such support.

Thus, I have some related questions:
  1. Do you know if some of the XScale related code will be transfered to Marvell so that they will continue to support it?
  2. What current/future embedded solutions and CPUs does/will Intel provide for the embedded/mobile market?
  3. Does Intel have any plans for a suitable appliction processor?
Thanks,
Adi

0 Kudos
Ying_S_Intel
Employee

Dear Customer,

For any code that have been transferred to Marvell, please contact Marvell for further information.

One ongoing program we are offering righ now is IntelC++ Software Development Tool Suite 1.0 BETA for Linux* OS Supporting Mobile Internet Devices (MID) athttp://www3.intel.com/cd/software/products/asmo-na/eng/375027.htm, you may join this beta to more details.

In addtion to that, the standalone Intel IPP will add support for the newest Intel Atom processors, the upcoming Intel IPP v6.0 beta will support this new processor start in Linux environment, so stay tunedand participate our beta.

Hope it helps.

Thanks,
Ying

0 Kudos
adi_shavit
Beginner
Hi Ying,

Thank you for your reply.
The new Atom does not seem like a direct competitor for the XScale processors since it will be much more powerful. It targets the high-end mobile platforms and not low-cost embedded systems.

When is IPP 6.0 supposed to come out?

Thanks,
Adi
0 Kudos
Ying_S_Intel
Employee
The Intel IPP 6.0 beta will be available later this month. If you are interested in testing this beta, you can start pre-registration at this time, please go to http://www.intel.com/software/products/ipp/beta. So when the betabecomes available to download, you will get the notification from us.

Thanks,
Ying
0 Kudos