Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

IPP for games?

lawcoperamail_com

Hey performance people! I'm into writing games with SDL in Linux. I had a quick look-see at some of the docs and samples for IPP and was unable to distill any wisdom from them. So I thought I'd post another one of my stupid questions here! Does IPP actually set a video mode and render to it like SDL. Or do the image and video routines just accept a buffer and return a buffer and you render it yourself?

It would seem to me that IPP would assist me more if I were writing PhotoShop than a game. But, I thought I'd try a post to see if anyone finds IPP useful for game development in anyway.

Sorry for all the stupid questions. Thanks for all your help.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello,

there are a lot of aspects under the term 'writing a game'. If you need image/video/audio/speech compression functionality you may want to use IPP because of performance and cross-platform support.
If you need some kind of image processing in your game the IPP might be a right choice due to performance and functionality.
Are you looking for small matrix operations (kind of 3x3 or 5x5) for your 3D render engine? Look at IPP, we provide that functionality with optimization tuned for the latest Intel platforms.

I do not think you may benefit through IPP in game control logic but whenever you need to process comparately big amount of data and worrying about performance - IPP may help.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
lawcoperamail_com

Hello,

there are a lot of aspects under the term 'writing a game'. If you need image/video/audio/speech compression functionality you may want to use IPP because of performance and cross-platform support.
If you need some kind of image processing in your game the IPP might be a right choice due to performance and functionality.
Are you looking for small matrix operations (kind of 3x3 or 5x5) for your 3D render engine? Look at IPP, we provide that functionality with optimization tuned for the latest Intel platforms.

I do not think you may benefit through IPP in game control logic but whenever you need to process comparately big amount of data and worrying about performance - IPP may help.

Regards,
Vladimir

Humm. Well I never do 3D. I just write casual games in 2D mostly with SDL and/or OpenGL. I was originally attracted to it as a possibly speedier alternative to SDL's screen rendering, but after digging around I don't believe IPP does such a thing. Here's a few other things that may or may not be in IPP that I could use:

1) Loading and saving images (.BMP's, JPG's .GIF's, etc)

2) High quality image scaling.

3) Play music and sound effects (.MP3, .WAV, or others)

4) CPU and OS Identification.

5) Load and save .MPEG movies.

I'm devoted to a big project right now and the docs aren't written for speed reading. I really don't think IPP is for me, but if anyone has time to respond to my wish-list and save me from those docs, I'd be happy.

Thanks

0 Kudos
lawcoperamail_com

That's a different page than what I went to:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/non-commercial-software-download/

I'm sorry, I started this discussion mostly to socialize I guess. I have no friends who are programmers, so I have no one to talk to about this stuff. I thought I'd like to interact with people here rather than sit in the dark and read all the time.

I'm sorry to waste everyone's time here. I'll answer my own stupid questions from now on, and only post here when I'm really stuck.

0 Kudos