Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

IPP on AMD 64?

yaddayadda22
Beginner
I have a client whose performance is drastically slow on an AMD 64 system. I've read online that there are manual tweaks to force the loading of processor-specific libraries at runtime to override the "auto detect" features of IPP. Can anyone recommend a course of action or research?

If we can't get IPP to run at least as quickly as on a PIII, then unfortunately, we'll have to switch to another image processing solution, which would be a bummer because I really like it.

Thanks much,

Matt

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi Matt,

what version of IPP do you use? We got a lot of requests from customers to dispatch optimized code on base of detected processor features (for example SSE). In answering that IPP v5.1 will dispatch appropriate optimized code on AMD processors.

Regarding manually dispatching particular processor-specific code - it is simple: you need to link with IPP static libraries and call ippStaticInitCpu function with specifying desired processor-specific optimization. Note, you will get hardware exception if you will try to use absent features (for example, trying SSE code on processor which supports only MMX instruction set).

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos