Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

Incorrect documentation for ippInit function (return values)

j_miles
Beginner
Hi,

The documentation is incorrect (unclear and incomprehensive) for the ippInit function. According to the documentation, the function is only supposed to be able to return one and only one return value (status code), i.e. ippStsNoErr. It may, however, return other values, e.g. ippStsNonIntelCpu e.g. when on an AMD processor. What will the function return when run on an older processor that does not support SSE2+ (e.g. a Pentium III)? I have not yet been able to test that.

This was tested with IPP 7.0.7 but I suppose that the behavior has been like this since the first introduction of the method as a replacement of ippStaticInit.

Please correct the documentation for the next update of 7.0 or in 7.1 (as it is still not correct in 7.1beta).

- Jay
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel
Hi, thanks for the report. it might be the doc's issue. we will check and fix the issue if this is the real problem.
0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

hello,in this case ippInit returns ippStsNotSupportedCpu status and enables SSE2 optimization.

regarding documentation - we will fix it in the future updates.

0 Kudos
j_miles
Beginner
Great, Gennady. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to the updated documentation.

- Jay
0 Kudos
Not applicable

0 Kudos