Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

Intel IPP and functions to register multiple images?

postaquestion
Beginner

I am studying medicine at the local University of Mainz and, additionally, I am doing my dissertation on a topic of cancer research. To complete this, I need to register MRT images (which means that all e.g. breath artifacts etc. need to be corrected).

Do you offer any solutions to this, when it comes to software development? Doesthe Intel IPP contain functions to register multiple images?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Intel_C_Intel
Employee

There are several operations on images that are called "image registration"

If you mean the search of 2-3 special points on the image it could be done using SIFT features that are supported now

Could you describe in detail what operation do you call "image registration"

Thanks

0 Kudos
hoetker
Beginner

Thanks for replying!

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the deepmathematical background surrounding image registration, so all I can tell you is this:

During the measurements for one patient with the MRI, several pictures are taken (e.g. one every second). Now, as patients usually breathe :) and move a little bit without noticing it, there is a little translation between the pictures and some of the organs are squeezed when you breath in. All this needs to be corrected as efficiantly as possible, so that you can scroll through all the pictures as if the patient would have hold his/her breath for several minutes or did not move at all.

If required, additional input (e.g. a ROI in the body, representing a tumor) is possible.

Is it possible to write such a program using Intel IPP? If so, where could I start? Are there any samples?

Best wishes,

Andreas

0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hi Andreas,

I think it is possible to write such an application with IPP but in that case you need to know mathemathical details of image registration. IPP is set of low level functions and you are able to build almost any processing algorithm with it.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos