Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6709 Discussions

Is IPP required to use the US15W/Atom Z510/530's hardware h.264 decoder?

k_morris
Beginner
I'm curently working with a development kit that has an Atom Z530 and the US15W Poulsbo SCH. There is apparently a hardware decoder for h.264, and I have a number of instructions on how to install the GMA500 drivers, get the helix framework, and get hardware accelerated video playback...

What I am wondering is, how do I take advantage of the hardware accelerated decoding functions directly? My application is such that I need to decode video, but I don't have a traditional GUI (just a framebuffer) and I want to avoid helix.

IPP provides access to functions to do h.264 decoding, but does it take advantage of the hardware acceleration? Is IPP the ONLY way to use the hardware accelerators, or are there other libraries or APIs that I could use for the likely small number of functions I will require?

Any help will be appreciated.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

IPP does not work with hardware capabilities presented in chipsets. What it stands for is getting max possible performance from software only processing by fully utilizing processor capablities.

I would recommend you to take a look at Intel Media SDK product which is intended to provide media processing performance through getting advantage from both processor and chipset capabilities providing at the same time some unified API for customer applications.

Regards,
Vladimir

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

IPP does not work with hardware capabilities presented in chipsets. What it stands for is getting max possible performance from software only processing by fully utilizing processor capablities.

I would recommend you to take a look at Intel Media SDK product which is intended to provide media processing performance through getting advantage from both processor and chipset capabilities providing at the same time some unified API for customer applications.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
Kent_Morris
Beginner
Hello,

Regards,
Vladimir

Thanks for the quick and informative reply. I should have been more clear in my original post that I was using Linux... I just had a look at the Media SDK, and it seems to be what I'm looking for, but unfortunately it is a windows only library.

Any suggestions for Linux?
0 Kudos