Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Is there a function in IPP to load image?

Valentina_Kustikova

Hello,

Could you help me and answer the question, is there a function in IPP to load images in different formats? In samples (http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-integrated-performance-primitives-intel-ipp-calling-image-processing-functions#5) I have found an implementation of some function (function ipLoad), that allows to load image, is there an alternative way to load image using IPP functions?

Thanks,

Valentina

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Valentina, Sorry, no, ipp image processing functions focus on image processing algorithm like ippiFilter, ippiRGBtoYUV etc. no special funtion for load image file with different format. All IPP functions API are listed in http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-integrated-performance-primitives-documentation/ But as i know, there are many ways to load image files. For example, most of users use third party software, like OpenCV image load function. And in IPP sample , which can be downloaded from http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/code-samples-for-intel-integrated-performance-primitives-intel-ipp-library-71, like ippiDemo, there are source code to show how to load bmp image. all most of all sample code in ipp image processing have load image functionality. and in ipp image codec sample, there is source code to show how to load and save image file include png, jpeg, jpeg2000 ( image encoding and decoding processing) You may use them directly. Best Regards, Ying How do I read an image file so it can be used with the Intel IPP? To read an image file, you must understand the structure of the file format you are working with. From this information, you can determine the properties of the image and then store the image data into an Intel IPP buffer. The following is a general outline for loading an image: •Retrieve the image properties (width, height, data type, etc.) from the image file header. •Based on those properties, create a buffer of the appropriate Intel IPP data type and size. •Read/copy the image data into the buffer. •Use Intel IPP image processing functions to perform the desired operations on the image data buffer. For a specific example using Windows* bitmap format, please refer to the ipLoad function from the Tiled Image Processing sample ( ippview.cpp). Read more about Intel IPP image and data type support in the Image Processing Reference Manual, Chapter 2. For image compression, please refer to the Intel IPP JPEG sample code.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Valentina, Sorry, no, ipp image processing functions focus on image processing algorithm like ippiFilter, ippiRGBtoYUV etc. no special funtion for load image file with different format. All IPP functions API are listed in http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-integrated-performance-primitives-documentation/ But as i know, there are many ways to load image files. For example, most of users use third party software, like OpenCV image load function. And in IPP sample , which can be downloaded from http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/code-samples-for-intel-integrated-performance-primitives-intel-ipp-library-71, like ippiDemo, there are source code to show how to load bmp image. all most of all sample code in ipp image processing have load image functionality. and in ipp image codec sample, there is source code to show how to load and save image file include png, jpeg, jpeg2000 ( image encoding and decoding processing) You may use them directly. Best Regards, Ying How do I read an image file so it can be used with the Intel IPP? To read an image file, you must understand the structure of the file format you are working with. From this information, you can determine the properties of the image and then store the image data into an Intel IPP buffer. The following is a general outline for loading an image: •Retrieve the image properties (width, height, data type, etc.) from the image file header. •Based on those properties, create a buffer of the appropriate Intel IPP data type and size. •Read/copy the image data into the buffer. •Use Intel IPP image processing functions to perform the desired operations on the image data buffer. For a specific example using Windows* bitmap format, please refer to the ipLoad function from the Tiled Image Processing sample ( ippview.cpp). Read more about Intel IPP image and data type support in the Image Processing Reference Manual, Chapter 2. For image compression, please refer to the Intel IPP JPEG sample code.
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
Hi Valentina, Let me ask a question: What image formats are you going to work with? >>... >>...is there a function in IPP to load images in different formats?... >>... IPP library is a set of highly optimized functions for different domains, like Image, Digital Signal processing, etc. There are so many different image formats that IPP's Image Processing domain abstracts itself from that constantly changing world. Consider, for example, IPP functions from Image Processing domain, as functions that always work with a raw image data. So, before you start working with some IPP function you need to load the image data into memory using some helper functions and it depends on a format of the image. Usually, these helper functions are implemented in 3rd party libraries. I would recommend you to look at these examples: Simplified Image Processing Demo - image-processing/image-processing-mfc C++ Image Processing Classes - image-processing/image-processing-templates Best regards, Sergey
0 Kudos
Valentina_Kustikova
Thanks, I understand those two ways, besides I have already implemeted a function to load image using OpenCV (it was very easy), but I expected to find simular function in IPP. Regards, Valentina
0 Kudos
SergeyKostrov
Valued Contributor II
>>...I have already implemeted a function to load image using OpenCV (it was very easy), but I expected to find simular function in IPP. OpenCV has changed a lot during last 10 years but it is always considered as one of 3rd party libraries, that is, with helper-functions "above" IPP functions.
0 Kudos