Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

JPEG compression in IPP 6.x vs 7.0

cyberdemon1
Beginner
Hi!
I'm using UIC jpeg encoder with IPP 6.x and everything is ok (and fast :) ).
My CPU is Core i5-2500
Today I installed IPP 7.0 trial, encoder was recompiled and I've got about only0-3% performance boost. In other words, zero :(
I checked dispatcher - in new code (with ipp7) encoder uses g9 methods (at least for RGB -> YUV conversion).
Only one thread is used.
Is it normal situation? I thought that I will get some benefits from AVX.
0 Kudos
3 Replies
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee
The functions that have been optimized for AVX are primarily floating point. I believe many of the functions used by the UIC JPEG encoder are integer based. For a complete list of the IPP functions that have been hand-tuned for AVX, please see this article:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-ipp-functions-optimized-for-intel-avx-intel-advanced-vector-extensions/

Note that the UIC JPEG encoder also takes advantage of multi-threading, which can provide substantial acceleration, in addition to SIMD. So you may simply be seeing a larger percentage of acceleration due to the multi-threading when compared to the SIMD. The combination of the two will generally give the best results, which is what you're seeing with the UIC implementation.
0 Kudos
Naveen_G_Intel
Employee

Hi,

Are you using prebuilt binary you can refer to discussion in the forum on the same opic.

Regards,

Naveen GV

0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hello,

I'm glad to notifythat the one-thread issue in UIC jpeg codec is resolved in the new release:
Intel IPP 7.0 update 4 is shipping as of May 12, 2011.

You are welcomed to try it

Regards,
Ying H.
0 Kudos