Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6708 Discussions

Linking with IPP using MinGW to build a Windows application?

thevinn
Beginner
How do I link with IPP if I am building my Windows application using the MinGW tool chain? Specifically, the one that comes with QtCreator.

Thanks
0 Kudos
5 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

although we do not test IPP with MinGW toolchain specifically but it should be possible to use libraries with any compiler which is compatible with Microsoft or GCC (like Intel Compiler, for example).

Do you mean you have any issues using IPP with MinGW?

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel
Hi,

this post may provide some help:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/showthread.php?t=75848
some users reported that he could use successfually.

Thanks,
Chao
0 Kudos
dashesy
Beginner
I see many people start to use MingW along with IPP or UMC.

I have a makefile that builds the entire UMC library (umc.a) and use it inside my QT project.
In addition I compile UMC in Visual Studio (umc.lib) and use the same QT project but this time with Visual Studio.
This way I make sure when I want to release a Linux binary in later phase of the project, that would not be a big deal. At the same time I get the speed advantage of Visual Studio in Windows.
The result is a comparision framework for MingW and Visual Studio for encoding, decoding and muxing video using different codecs. For MingW I cannot compile the OpenMP path of some of the codecs that do have parallel loops, because OpenMP in MingW is "as of now" AFAIK based on Pthreads which has some implementation and legal issues for commercial applications.

To be able to use MingW I have to change some of the UMC source code that deals with things like Unicode and Assembly inlines

I am thinking of a tutorial that might help other people to use MingW, do you think it is a good idea worth the time? or maybe you are going to support MingW in future thus no need for hacks.

dashesy
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hi Dashesy,

We do not have plans to support MinGW, so I think that kind of tutorial might be useful for other people who face similar issues.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
Tushar_Kachhadiya

Hello Guys,

Does IPP compile with MinGW 4.8.2 x64 for windows environment?

Thanks

Tushar Kachhadiya

0 Kudos