Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

MP3 & AAC decoding, and advantages of IPP 8

vojtech_m_
Beginner

Hi, 

I own IPP 6 for Windows & Mac and use it for signal processing extensively. Now I need to provide MP3 and AAC decoding (potentially other formats, but these are the important ones). I found there is "UMC" - is this the solution to look for? Does it work on both Windows and Mac, both 32 bit and 64bit? It's not a problem to upgrade to IPP 8 if needed (that's the newest version). 

Why isn't it included in IPP itself and rather part of some kind of examples? How to compile it effectively? It looks like lots of separate projects.

Which comes to one more question, a little off-topic - are there performance improvements for IPP 8 compared to IPP 6? Mainly about 1D basic processing (mul, add, complex mul, IIR filters, FFT). 

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
4 Replies
vojtech_m_
Beginner

No response? :o

0 Kudos
Roman_T_
New Contributor I

Hi!
UMC is legacy now.
All development in encoding-decoding migrated to Intel Media SDK.

Best regards,
Roman

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

These Audio and Media codecs are legacy codecs into 8.0 versions and therefore these codecs has not supported for now. here you can see the official message from IPP team : https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/code-samples-for-intel-integrated-performance-primitives-library

wrt : "Which comes to one more question, a little off-topic - are there performance improvements for IPP 8 compared to IPP 6? Mainly about 1D basic processing (mul, add, complex mul, IIR filters, FFT)"  

yes, there are many perf.improvements you may see especially for the latest CPU.

0 Kudos
vojtech_m_
Beginner

Thank you. Now, I checked the Media SDK but on the main page there is "Media SDK for Windows" and next to it "cross-platform", so I'm lost - I need it for Macs as well as Windows, is it supported? It doesn't seem to be written anywhere.

Also from the link of deprecated stuff is also the gzip (zlib) support - but IPP 8 still provides zlib (deflate) encoding, right?

0 Kudos