Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Massive deprecation list in 8.2!

pvonkaenel
New Contributor III

Boy was I shocked to find that entire domains in IPP 8.2 have been marked deprecated.  I am a heavy user of routines in the video coding domain and am extremely worried about this wholesale deprecation of probably hundreds of routines.  Where is IPP headed and is there any way to get a stay of execution and have Intel continue to maintain these routines?

Is anyone else worried about this disturbing trend?  Ever since IPP 7.1 I've been replacing deprecated routines with replacements when available, and pragma'ing out warnings.

Thanks,

Peter

0 Kudos
6 Replies
elhefe38
Beginner

pvonkaenel wrote:

Boy was I shocked to find that entire domains in IPP 8.2 have been marked deprecated.  I am a heavy user of routines in the video coding domain and am extremely worried about this wholesale deprecation of probably hundreds of routines.  Where is IPP headed and is there any way to get a stay of execution and have Intel continue to maintain these routines?

Is anyone else worried about this disturbing trend?  Ever since IPP 7.1 I've been replacing deprecated routines with replacements when available, and pragma'ing out warnings.

I sadly agree with you. IPP roadmap makes me feel quite unsafe. First they marked all 'in-place' functions as deprecated (before coming back to reason and reinstating them), now entire domains have also been pushed into the deprecated side (complex processing ? small matrices ? and no, I do not want to clutter my hard drive with 2GB of MKL). Hello Intel, some people are actually USING the functions you mark as deprecated and when no alternative is listed, I will keep using them !

0 Kudos
O_Donnell__Chris
Beginner

Yes, I have similar concerns.  Is there a roadmap of IPP for the next few years / releases?  At least from the medical device industry, the IPP is used a fair amount.  Are there replacements planned for imaging and video domains, if so, how do I learn about these?

0 Kudos
Tobias_Erichsen
Beginner

Hi everyone,

I'd like to voice my concern as well.  There are so many people out there using the IPP for VoIP-codec-acceleration,
so this seems like a huge mistake.  I guess this is probably also true for the other areas where those massive
deprecations take place...

Best regards,
Tobias

0 Kudos
OLiet
Beginner

I agree - it would be helpful knowing from Intel us about their plans for IPP.
It seems their focus is on MediaSDK.

- Oliver

0 Kudos
Pavel_B_Intel1
Employee

Hi All!

Thank you your your feedbacks. We (IPP team) analyze your feedbacks very carefully, this is very important info for us. Please sorry us for our silence, we will provide our update as soon as it will be possible.

Thanks, Pavel

0 Kudos
Sathish_S_
Beginner

I am facing the same issue, Actually I am using Image Compression (IPPJP) . 

0 Kudos