Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

OpenCV with IPP licence

John_S_13
Beginner

I'm developing an application using OpenCV 3.0, which uses the Intel IPP-CV libraries to accelerate certain image processing functions. Everything will be statically linked with my executable. What is the licensing situation here? Am I allowed to commercially distribute my application if IPP-CV is present? Do I need a separate licence? I couldn't find this information in the IPP-CV faq and the licence document inside the ippicv folder has a generic licence.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi John,

If you get IPP-ICV through OpenCV only, you need to follow the OpenCV license agreement. There is some information on this here as below.

Intel Corporation granted OpenCV Foundation and all our users the right to use IPP-ICV libraries free of charge for both non-commercial and commercial use. Optimization with IPP-ICV is enabled by default on the supported platforms.

Best,

Bjoern

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Roman_T_
New Contributor I

Hi,

OpenCV usage doesn't mean anything in this case. Commercial distribution of your product, that uses IPP lib files for linking, requires a commecial license. (Personal or ip-pool-linked).

Best regards,
Roman

0 Kudos
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi John,

To distribute your application you simply need to have a valid IPP license and follow the license conditions which you can get from here also.

Under 4. License Conditions there is a separate paragraph F. Distribution and an IPP specific one under G. Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives which requires your special attention.

Have a successful distribution. ;-)

Best,

Bjoern Bruecher

0 Kudos
John_S_13
Beginner

Thank you for the answers. In the mean time I found this page that seems to grant a free 'community licence' for IPP, including commercial uses. Does this apply to the subset used with OpenCV?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/free_ipp

0 Kudos
Roman_T_
New Contributor I

John S. wrote:

Thank you for the answers. In the mean time I found this page that seems to grant a free 'community licence' for IPP, including commercial uses. Does this apply to the subset used with OpenCV?

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/free_ipp

Hi John,

community license have some limitations.

For example you will be able to download and work later only with the latest version of IPP.
If you need some deprecated but very useful  tools, they will not be available in IPP 9.x at all and some OpenCV functions will not be IPP-optimized.
For example, fast JPEG-compression functions are deprecated now.

If this limitation is not important for your project, community license is a good solution.

Best regards,
Roman 

0 Kudos
John_S_13
Beginner

For example you will be able to download and work later only with the latest version of IPP.

I'm not downloading IPP from the Intel website, but rather using IPP as downloaded with openCV during cmake with the script from here https://github.com/Itseez/opencv/tree/master/3rdparty/ippicv . I guess this is the latest version, and only contains the library used with OpenCV. The community license should cover this package as well, right?

I apologize if my questions seem redundant, but I need to make sure that I'm actually allowed to distribute my app with IPP enabled. I've pored over the EULA included with ipp-cv, but it just lists the types of available licences, and the OpenCV website is not helpful in determining if one is allowed to commercialize their app with the integrated primitives library, and if not, how one acquires the right to do so.

0 Kudos
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

Hi John,

If you get IPP-ICV through OpenCV only, you need to follow the OpenCV license agreement. There is some information on this here as below.

Intel Corporation granted OpenCV Foundation and all our users the right to use IPP-ICV libraries free of charge for both non-commercial and commercial use. Optimization with IPP-ICV is enabled by default on the supported platforms.

Best,

Bjoern

0 Kudos
John_S_13
Beginner

Much thanks, I must have glossed over that line.

0 Kudos
Bjoern_B_Intel
Employee

You are welcome. Let me close this thread then.

Best,

Bjoern

0 Kudos