Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

Performance issue with IPP 8.2 crypto libs

Mykola_L_
Beginner

Hello,

I'm faced with performance issue after switching to new IPP 8.2 libraries. I have tested methods of calculating MD5, SHA256 hash and saw that new implementation ippsHashMessage working much more slower than old implementation ippsMD5MessageDigest, ippsSHA256MessageDigest (IPP 7.0.6). Could you please clarify me if this is known issue? And what I can do with this? I'm really don't want downgrade IPP to 7.0.6 version.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Igor_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Mykola,

please try IPP 8.2.1 - SHA has been improved there. All other hash functions will be improved in the next IPP release.

regards, Igor

0 Kudos
Mykola_L_
Beginner

Igor thanks for reply, 

I should say that performance is really slower with IPP 8.2.1. Please find below performance test results for processing data with using libraries 7.0.6 and 8.2.1. In my code I use methods: ippsEncodeLZO_8u, ippsRijndael128EncryptCBC, ippsMD5MessageDigest, ippsSHA256MessageDigest etc. Performance checked with multithreaded versions of IPP on Win x64 platform.

Process data IPP 7.0.6 (Compress: False, Encrypt: False)    154 MB/sec.
Process data IPP 8.2.1 (Compress: False, Encrypt: False)    143 MB/sec.

Process data IPP 7.0.6 (Compress: True, Encrypt: True)       77 MB/sec.
Process data IPP 8.2.1 (Compress: True, Encrypt: True)       5 MB/sec.

0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

Hello, 

Would it be possible to provide you performance test code?  That may help to further check the performance. 

Regards,
Chao 

0 Kudos
Igor_A_Intel
Employee

Chao is right - something is wrong with your application (15x performance drop) - could you share your performance measurement code? IPP provides PS (performance system) for each IPP release - you can check any function you need, I've obtained the next results:

IPP8.2.1           IPP8.2         IPP7.1
ippsMD5MessageDigest            5.46                 5.56              4.49
ippsSHA1MessageDigest          4.88                  5.13             4.08
ippsSHA256MessageDigest      10.8                   13               10.3
ippsSHA512MessageDigest       8.25                 10.2              8.26

(HSW, win64, clocks per byte, the lower - the better, vector length=1K)

regards, Igor

0 Kudos
Kryten67
Beginner

Igor: What is the "Performance System" (PS) that you mention? I can't find any information about it in the documentation.

I am trying to decide upon which hashing algorithm to choose -- is there a table somewhere with the relative performance comparisons for all hashing algorithms available?

0 Kudos
Chao_Y_Intel

Paul,

The performance tool is located at the folder: ipp/tools/intel64/perfsys
It includes a readme file there for the tools usage.

Thanks,
Chao

0 Kudos
Kryten67
Beginner

Thanks Chao.

0 Kudos