Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6711 Discussions

Please clarify the neighborhood used for ippiFilterMedianCross

mikew123
Beginner
Hello,

Could someone explain to me the neighborhood used in ippiFilterMedianCross? Based on my testing, it seems to use a neighborhood shaped like a cross, as the name suggests, rather than a square, as the documentation suggests.

For example, I have a attached a test image that has a solid background with a single horizontal line passing through the middle. After applying the filter, the text in the image is clearly modified by the filter so it appears to be doing something.If the filter is using a square neighborhood defined by the mask size, the line should be removed completely. However, it only removes the endpoints of the line. Specifically, it removes one point from each end for a 3x3 mask and 2 points from each end for a 5x5 mask. This is what I would expect from a cross-shaped neighborhood, not a square.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hello Mike,

Your observation is right. The function definitely uses cross-shaped neighborhood for both 3x3 and 5x5 masks as it's name.

The documentationstates - The neighborhood is determined by the square mask of the predefined size - you may read it as that the mask is square-shaped or themask is a square.

Best Regards,
Ying

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hello Mike,

Your observation is right. The function definitely uses cross-shaped neighborhood for both 3x3 and 5x5 masks as it's name.

The documentationstates - The neighborhood is determined by the square mask of the predefined size - you may read it as that the mask is square-shaped or themask is a square.

Best Regards,
Ying
0 Kudos
mikew123
Beginner
Thank you for the clarification.We will use the general ippiFilterMedian function as we require a square neighborhood.
0 Kudos