Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6704 Discussions

Poor ippiFilterMedian performance in version 6.1 through current 7.0 release.

mikew123
Beginner
Hello all,

I've been posting about this issue for awhile now and was told that version 7.0.7 would address this issue,however it has not. When compared to IPP 3.0,the performance of the ippiFilterMedian function is about 20% slower than newer versions, from 6.1 through the current 7.0.7 release. It's as if the optimizations have been completely removed from the function.

We produce high-speed inspection systems and use the median filter quite a bit in our application.We want to move to 64-bit but 3.0 does not support it and we can not afford the additional processing time required with the new version. Now I see the the announcement of 7.1 and wonder if this will ever get fixed. Can we expect a fix for this?

Thanks,

Mike W
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel
Yes, we are trying to eliminate this performance degradation of this function ( ippiFilterMedian_ ) but I am not sure all available cases ( all supported values for mod, Size of the mask and etc ) would be fixed.
Which combinations of this function you are interesting in first of all?
0 Kudos
mikew123
Beginner
Hello,

We only useippiFilterMedian_8u_C1R and ippiFilterMedian_8u_AC4R. From my testing it looks as if the optimizations have been completely removed. The current execution time in 7.0 is roughly the same as the non-optimized execution time in 3.0.

Thanks,

Mike W
0 Kudos
mikew123
Beginner
Hello,

I hate to keep hounding you guys but I need to keep my supervisor updated. Do you have any idea if/when we can expect these fixes to be implemented?

Thanks,

Mike W
0 Kudos