Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Community support and discussions relating to developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
Announcements
The Intel sign-in experience is changing in February to support enhanced security controls. If you sign in, click here for more information.
6656 Discussions

Simple player VS 2005 static linking problem

gossamer
Beginner
I'm trying to convert Simple_player to use static library linkage (visual studio 2005) and i have problem with two projects.

Every lib from simple_player was converted to single project file (h264_dec, vcl_spl, mp3_dec ...), so i have rebuild all projects to use w7_ipp* version of procedures. Also, i've include all ipp*emerged.lib and ippcorel.lib in main project. So when i rebuild those projects they generate .lib files and doesnt produce any error messages. But when i try to rebuild main project (simple_player) i get 4 unresolved external error messages.

jpeg.lib(jpegdec.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _w7_ippMalloc@4
jpeg.lib(jpegdec.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _w7_ippFree@4
jpeg.lib(decqtbl.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _w7_ippAlignPtr@8
vc1_dec.lib(umc_vc1_dec_seq.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _w7_ippStaticInit@0

I've put definitons for IPPCALL at begining of jpegdec.cpp file and slightly redefined ippdefs.h file as
#if defined (STATIC_PROC_W7)
#define IPPAPI(type,name,arg) extern type __STDCALL w7_##name arg;
#else
#define IPPAPI( type,name,arg ) extern type __STDCALL name arg;
#endif
#endif
So i use preprocessor definition STATIC_PROC_W7 in project configuration.
Next thing i was trying to do:
Because i couldnt find w7_ippMalloc in ippcorel.lib file i've redefined procedures calls as:
//----------------------
#define w7_ippMalloc ippMalloc
#define w7_ippFree ippFree

#define OWN_IPPAPI( type,name,arg ) extern type __STDCALL name arg;
OWN_IPPAPI( void*,ippMalloc, (int length) )
OWN_IPPAPI( void, ippFree, (void* ptr) )
//--------------------

I've use that because i didnt want to mess with other w7_ipp* functions calls (as linker havent complained at them) .. now IPPCALL definition change ippMalloc to w7_ippMalloc which is changed back to ippMalloc by my definition. So in the end it produces:

extern void * __stdcall ippMalloc(int)
again, compiling jpeg project didnt produce any errors, but compiling main project produces following
jpeg.lib(jpegdec.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void * __stdcall ippMalloc(int)" (?ippMalloc@@YGPAXH@Z)
jpeg.lib(jpegdec.obj) : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "void __stdcall ippFree(void *)" (?ippFree@@YGXPAX@Z)
I have no idea what else to try, hope You could help me figure this out.

Sincerely,
Sven
0 Kudos
3 Replies
Ying_S_Intel
Employee

You may add extern "C" ... to the declartions to make ippMalloc and ippFree C functions.

In general, the include files provided in Intel IPP are not subject to modify.

Thanks,

Ying

gossamer
Beginner
Hi,

That helped, thanx.
About include files, i will use #undef instead of editing files, but that could lead to a problem if some of the header files call that function before my redefinition. It would be a good idea to put definition for static linkage in ippdefs.h

Sven
Ying_S_Intel
Employee

Simply, you can include ipp_w7.h before ipp.h.

Thanks,
Ying