Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

The best IPP distribution for AMD opteron

poncos
Beginner

Hi,

I am going to a use the IPP libraries on a "AMD opteron Quadcorex64"machine with Linux, but I don't know what is the best distribution to this hardware (the best in terms of performance). On the web, there are the next distributions enabled:

- IA-32

- Intel 64

- IA-64

What is the best distribution for my arquitecture???

Thanks so much.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee

Hello,

Intel IPP product designed and developed to be the best (including in terms of performance) when runs on Intel architecture. The target architectures weoptimizing IPP for are:

- IA32, which stands for Intel 32-bit Architecture or 100% compatible processors
- Intel 64, which stand for Intel processors with EM64T technology (and compatible processors)
- IA64, which stands for Intel Itanium processors

So if you are going to use third-party EM64T compatible processor running 64-bit OS you will need IPP for Intel64 architecture. In case of 32-bit OS you need IPP for IA32 architecture. IPP will run on 100% compatible procesors and will dispatch optimized code based on processor features. Which means if processor support for example SSE3 instruction set than SSE3 optimized functions will be dispatched at run time.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
Ying_S_Intel
Employee

You can also check this article in Intel IPP knowledge base for more reference:
http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/use-ipp-on-amd-processor/

Thanks,
Ying

0 Kudos