Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

UIC Jpeg + YUY2

Vinicius_Strasser
Hi,
I would like to compress frames from a video stream that are in format YUY2 using Jpeg UIC. Currently, I am converting it to RGB before compressing and getting the expected result.
Is it possible to, directly, compress a YUY2 source with JPEG UIC? (without having to convert to RGB before)
I don't care about the output format of compressed stream... It can also be YUY2. I really would not like to convert it to RGB to avoid overhead, during the conversion, and also the reduce the compressed size (RGB requires 3 bytes and YUY2 only 2).
Any help will be welcome.
Thanks.
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Sergey_Ryadno
New Contributor I
Hi,
i made simple application to demonstrate how UIC JPEG can work withYUY2 data without resamplig and color conversion to/from RGB. You can find it in attachement.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

yes, UIC JPEG encoder support input image in YUY2 format and will require 4:2:2 sampling in that case (we do not support resampling from 4:2:2 to other samplings). We may not demonstrate this capability with sample UIC applications, I'll ask Sergey (our engineer responsible for JPEG) to provide explanation or simple code snippet here to show how to set UIC JPEG encoder parameters for such usage model.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
Sergey_Ryadno
New Contributor I
Hi,
i made simple application to demonstrate how UIC JPEG can work withYUY2 data without resamplig and color conversion to/from RGB. You can find it in attachement.
0 Kudos
Vinicius_Strasser
Sergey,
Thank you very much for your code. Really this would not be something really easy to do alone :)
Another question, just for curiosity by now... does IPP supports conversion from RAW Bayer format to RGB?
Thanks.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

For conversion from Bayer to RGB weoffer two different algorithms (varied in performance and quality of resulted image)

CFAToRGB

and

DemosaicAHD

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos