Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

UMC support under Vista???

noemata
Beginner

Are the UMC components of IPP supported under Vista? Based on our results it appears that the DX render functionality does not work under vista.

0 Kudos
14 Replies
andrei_m
Beginner
Quoting - noemata

Are the UMC components of IPP supported under Vista? Based on our results it appears that the DX render functionality does not work under vista.

Hi, I've already replied to your other post:

Try using BLTVideoRender it is far more stable under XP and likely it will work under Vista, unfortunately it was removed in 6.0, but still can be downloaded from IPP 5.3 sample package.

Regards,
Andrei.
0 Kudos
noemata
Beginner
Quoting - andrei.m

Try using BLTVideoRender it is far more stable under XP and likely it will work under Vista, unfortunately it was removed in 6.0, but still can be downloaded from IPP 5.3 sample package.

Regards,
Andrei.

Do you have a link to IPP 5.3 handy?
0 Kudos
noemata
Beginner
Quoting - noemata

Do you have a link to IPP 5.3 handy?

Found it! After spending about an hour integrating the IPP v5.3 BLT code into v6.0 update 2, I was able to get my simple_player secondary window to work under Vista. Thank you for the suggestion. I wonder how many others went through this trial under Vista?

Now I see th MJpeg playback problem reported by others.

Thefolks from Intel have been rather quiet in relation to these posts. What does Intel have to say about Vista UMC support and Vista? When will Vista be part of the IPPUMCtest regime? It doesn't look like it is at present.
0 Kudos
andrei_m
Beginner
Quoting - noemata

Found it! After spending about an hour integrating the IPP v5.3 BLT code into v6.0 update 2, I was able to get my simple_player secondary window to work under Vista. Thank you for the suggestion. I wonder how many others went through this trial under Vista?

Now I see th MJpeg playback problem reported by others.

Thefolks from Intel have been rather quiet in relation to these posts. What does Intel have to say about Vista UMC support and Vista? When will Vista be part of the IPPUMCtest regime? It doesn't look like it is at present.

Hi noemata,

Well, as I remember, Intel guys said that they removed the BLT render from the sample package because it is hard to support the code. But it is a mystery to me, why they choose to remove the BLT (which works perfectly fine) and left the Overlay render.
I've encountered this problem a while ago, when I also needed not just second window, but 15 windows simultaniously and the BLT solved my problem.
Anyhow there are still some limitations, like multiple monitor support. Currently Video will be displayed only on primary display, which I alredy fixed by myself.

Regards,
Andrei.
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
The performance on HD video was a criteria to choose DX render. Please submit your issue report through Intel Premier Support that will fall to product problem reports data base and will be considered at the next version planning stage.

Regards,
Vladimir

0 Kudos
noemata
Beginner
The performance on HD video was a criteria to choose DX render. Please submit your issue report through Intel Premier Support that will fall to product problem reports data base and will be considered at the next version planning stage.

Regards,
Vladimir

Perfectly valid consideration.Unfortunately HD support happens to be particularly good under Vista, yet IPP DX render doesn't work with it? I have posted via Premier Support, but the respondants there are at a somewhat junior level. One of my posts here just got a reply via Premier Supportthat doesn't lead to any sort of resolution, meanwhile the problem was answered here some time ago.

This forumis turning out to be a better avenue for problem resolutionbecause there is more public scrutiny and collaboration on a given issue here.

Perhaps "Premier Support" needs to be revamped somewhat?
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Anything you report on Premier Support will eventually come to IPP development team. It is good channel if you want to report on real bugs in IPP product. Of course the time when these bugs will be resolved depend on our schedule, resources available and so on.

With this forum you have closer connection with IPP development team and community of course, so it is good channel to look for clarification on product features, usage or workarounds if there are any.

Vladimir

0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
Quoting - andrei.m

Regards,
Andrei.

What's the underlying difference between the DX and BLT renders? From the name it sounds like BLT is just using the GDI BitBlt? Is that correct (hope not), or is it using some other DirectX mode?

Peter
0 Kudos
noemata
Beginner
Quoting - pvonkaenel

What's the underlying difference between the DX and BLT renders? From the name it sounds like BLT is just using the GDI BitBlt? Is that correct (hope not), or is it using some other DirectX mode?

Peter

It's a DX surface ... rather than using the overlay mechanism a DX blit is used to perform the transfer. Under Vista, it seems that you have to use an off screen buffer if you want to play well with DWM and it's compositing features. Looks like this will be the way to go moving forward. There shouldn't be any additional performance implications surrounding this.

Let me know if you would like the code changes. There were several UMC files that needed tweaking to bring back the BLT feature. Personally, I prefer the old styledouble buffering/bltapproach because it does not rely on any displaydriver magic. Besides, that's how we do things in OpenGL land which is more platform agnostic than DirectX. It would have made more sense for Intel to provide a platform neutral OpenGL UMC layer.

Something I'm now in the process ofwiring in.
0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III
Quoting - noemata

It's a DX surface ... rather than using the overlay mechanism a DX blit is used to perform the transfer. Under Vista, it seems that you have to use an off screen buffer if you want to play well with DWM and it's compositing features. Looks like this will be the way to go moving forward. There shouldn't be any additional performance implications surrounding this.

Let me know if you would like the code changes. There were several UMC files that needed tweaking to bring back the BLT feature. Personally, I prefer the old styledouble buffering/bltapproach because it does not rely on any displaydriver magic. Besides, that's how we do things in OpenGL land which is more platform agnostic than DirectX. It would have made more sense for Intel to provide a platform neutral OpenGL UMC layer.

Something I'm now in the process ofwiring in.

I'd love the code changes for the BLT render. It sounds like a much more portable way of doing it, and I don't know if people will try to use my app under Vista or not.

Thanks,
Peter
0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III

I had completely forgotten about this issue when I started upgrading my system from 64-bit XP to 64-bit Windows 7. Well, the DX renderer is just as broken under Windows 7 as it is under Vista (no surprise there). Is there an Intelsupported solution for UMC based rendering under Windows 7? Hopefully something other than the new media SDK, since my application will need to support both XP (media SDK does not) and Windows 7 (UMC does not seem to).

Thanks,
Peter
0 Kudos
Victor_C_Intel1
Employee
Quoting - pvonkaenel

I had completely forgotten about this issue when I started upgrading my system from 64-bit XP to 64-bit Windows 7. Well, the DX renderer is just as broken under Windows 7 as it is under Vista (no surprise there). Is there an Intelsupported solution for UMC based rendering under Windows 7? Hopefully something other than the new media SDK, since my application will need to support both XP (media SDK does not) and Windows 7 (UMC does not seem to).

Thanks,
Peter

Good day!

I've set up a fresh x64 Windows 7 PC and tried to reproduce the issues.
My Windows 7 PC has a regular discrete graphic gard from nVidia.
So, I built the UMC samples and found that it indeed didn't work. Checking directDraw renderer shown that video driver returned "no any hardware support" flag. I downloaded the fresh version of video driver from nVidia's site and installed it. Unfortunatelly, there was no driver for Windows 7. I used latest certified drivers for Vista x64. It completely solved the issue. Video appeared and went smoothly. Let me know if it doesn't solve the issue on your PC.

Best regards
Victor
0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III

Good day!

I've set up a fresh x64 Windows 7 PC and tried to reproduce the issues.
My Windows 7 PC has a regular discrete graphic gard from nVidia.
So, I built the UMC samples and found that it indeed didn't work. Checking directDraw renderer shown that video driver returned "no any hardware support" flag. I downloaded the fresh version of video driver from nVidia's site and installed it. Unfortunatelly, there was no driver for Windows 7. I used latest certified drivers for Vista x64. It completely solved the issue. Video appeared and went smoothly. Let me know if it doesn't solve the issue on your PC.

Best regards
Victor

This may sound funny, but I'm afraid your solution does not work for me since my desktop machine has an Intel Q35 Express Graphics Chipset. I just updated it to the latest version, and the overlay still does not work.

I think the main problem is the requirement of overlay support which not all graphics drivers support. I believe theolder Blt renderer in UMC worked for a larger set of HW/drivers. Would it be possible to get support for it back in place?

Thanks,
Peter
0 Kudos
pvonkaenel
New Contributor III

Well, I've finally been able to get my hands on a 64-bit Win7 box with dual GeForce 9800GTX boards in an SLI configuration. The latest NVIDIA drivers do not work for me with the UMC DX overlay based renderer.

Very frustrating.

Peter

0 Kudos