Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6711 Discussions

Whatever happened to the Intel® IPP Asynchronous C/C++ library?

Ermo311
Beginner

Hello all,

I'm interested in learning what happened to the Intel® IPP Asynchronous C/C++ library. I would post a link to what I mean but it would just lead to a dead page. 

Specifically, I would like to use the library with OpenCV; I have been trying to run this tutorial: Intel® IPP Asynchronous C/C++ library in OpenCV

I have the latest Intel IPP that comes with Intel Parallel Studio and have the library integrated with Visual Studio 2017. I have used Intel TBB successfully so I assume that Intel IPP is also linked correctly. However, while I can successfully build and run the sample code, the output of the program says IPP Async not supported.

VS cannot find the definitions for the following:

hppiMatrix
hppAccel
hppAccelType
hppStatus
hppiVirtualMatrix

So this tells me that I do not have the library installed or I am not linking to some files correctly. 

I can't seem to find anything about these objects in the latest documentation and the latest reference to the ipp async library seems to be from 2015. I saw this post but I want to know what happened to the library since then.

Did it never leave the preview stage? Was it redone and integrated differently in the newer IPP library? Was it abandoned? If so, why? What is an alternative or replacement that can be used?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Gennady_F_Intel

It was the experimental version of IPP. We didn’t noticed customer interest and therefore didn’t integrate this functionality to the product version of IPP.

0 Kudos
Ermo311
Beginner

So there's no chance of using the libraries anymore? I've downloaded some legacy libraries but the async files don't seem to be in there.

Or can you suggest an alternative approach?

Appreciate it.

0 Kudos
Gennady_F_Intel

yes, legacy version doesn't contain this functionality. At this moment we couldn't suggest the alternative approach. 

0 Kudos