Thank you for letting us know about how you would like to use the UMC H.264 sample. We will certainly keep this in mind for future product planning. Since source code is available you are free to optimize performance in any way you like. Depending on how much effort you'd like to invest there are many possible ways to change the implementation to be a better fit for your application.
In the short term, here are some quick parameter change suggestions for speeding up the UMC H.264 encoder, which may be the biggest part of the lag.
1) Make sure threading is enabled this may be the biggest improvement
2) m_QualitySpeed 0 or 1
3) B_Frame_rate 0 (no B frames)
4) key_frame_controls.interval 0 or 1 (all I frames higher bitrate but faster encode and lower latency)
In the long term you may want to consider Media SDK, which includes
- Production ready video elementary stream codecs
- Video conferencing support added for Media SDK 2012 (currently available in beta)
- Hardware acceleration (on Intel 2nd generation core processors with Quick Sync Video)
Media SDK and IPP UMC can be used together, as in these white papers:
More information on Media SDK can be found at http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/vcsource/.
Media SDK currently only supports Windows 7/Vista. Please let us know if this is a major limitation for you.
If you decide to try Media SDK, please let us know how it goes. We would be veryhappy to hear more about your videoconferencingimplementation. If it is not appropriate to put details about your project on a public forum please feel free to mark the reply post private or send email.