Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6709 Discussions

ippiFilterBox_8u_C1R results differ on 32/64-bit systems

jon2029
Beginner
Hello. I have recently been working on porting our IPP-heavy code to 64-bit systems. I have run into an issue where the results from the functionippiFilterBox_8u_C1R is producing different results on 32-bit and 64-bit systems. The pixel values only differ by 1, making it appear to be a rounding issue. It is integral that we get exactly the same results on both 32 and 64-bit systems. Is there any workaround to this?
Please let me know if you need any more information
0 Kudos
11 Replies
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

could you please specify what version of IPP do you use, what is the target cpu (basically we need to know what cpu cpecific library get dispatched in your case), what is your OS (windows, linux or MacOS), simple test case would help to investigate that problem.

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos
jon2029
Beginner
Absolutely. We use IPP 6.1. On the 32-bit machine, the libraries that are loaded are ippiv8-6.1 and ippi-6.1. On the 63-bit machine, the libraries are ippiu8-6.1 and ippiem64t-6.1. The 32-bit machine is Windows Vista, whereas the 64-bit machine is Windows 7 x64.
I will try to get a suitable test case for you. Thanks!
0 Kudos
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Is your IPP 6.1 the latest one (we recently released IPP 6.1 update 5). BTW, you may also try IPP 7.0 beta version to see if there any difference.

Vladimir
0 Kudos
jon2029
Beginner
I believe so. I am running Parallel Studio and am fully updated (composer release 6). I will try IPP 7.0.
Thanks again!
0 Kudos
jon2029
Beginner
I have attached a sample project that shows the error.
0 Kudos
jon2029
Beginner
So, as you are chugging away at finding a resolution, I tried to install IPP 7.0 beta to see if the problem still exists.Unfortunately, weacquiredIPP via IPS. When attempting to install IPP 7.0 beta using our IPS serial key, the installer said that the key is invalid. Is there any other way to get IPP 7.0 installed?
0 Kudos
PaulF_IntelCorp
Employee
You'll need to request a beta key for the IPP 7.0 beta, which is independent of your Parallel Studio key. Go here to register for a beta key:

http://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-integrated-performance-primitives-intel-ipp-70-beta-program-homepage/
0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Jon,

Thanks for your reports. We can reproduce the problem now. There is rounding issue in 64bit system. We will fix itand let you knowwhen it is avaiable.

Thanks
Ying
0 Kudos
jon2029
Beginner
Ying,
Do you have any updates to this problem yet? It is still a major issue for us.
0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Jon,

The issueshould be targedto be fixed in thelatest7.0 gold version (will release in the month). I will notify youwhen it is verified.

Regards,
Ying
0 Kudos
Ying_H_Intel
Employee
Hi Jon,

You may have received some notification that the IPP 7.0 gold version released.you are welcomed totry it and let us know if any problem.

Thanks
Ying
0 Kudos