Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.
6711 Discussions

is it possible to decode a G729A to PCM with sample code?

dirks
Beginner

Hello,

I'm evaluating IPP 5.1 and I was wondering how to convert a G729A .wav into PCM format?

can this be done through the sample code application ucs_speech_codec. I always get a "cannot find format" error

any advice?

thanks

Dirk

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ligoban
Beginner

Your question is not correct. PCM differ from WAV in only one thing: wav has a RIFF-header. The body of a wav file is PCM - 16 bit pulse code modulation samples. So, just read a bit about wav,trancate that header and enjoy your PCM.

Perhars you meant how to convert WAV file to G.729A? This way:

-format IPP_G729A

While decoding you need not to type the name of the format.

0 Kudos
dirks
Beginner

Hello,

thanks for the response. Ok, I see and try that.

Another question (if you've got time)

I have an .MCF format (containing G729A) and want to decode it using IPP. The sample app is only capable of handling RIFF format, right? is this a need for the decoder, or only for the sample app. I'm trying to decode the .MCF but without success, any ideas?

thanks

Dirk

0 Kudos
ligoban
Beginner

I still can't get what is that - .mcf.

Probably, this format contains g.729 sample parameters (L0, L1, P0 and others) aligned to 16 bits or something like that. Compare the size of this *.mcf and the size of the file that was coded to create this *.mcf . If size_mcf*16 = size_rawfile - I'm wrong, otherwise I'm right.

WAV is needed only for the sample applications. If you're going to create your own applications - you will process raw PCM. As I recon - wav is used only because it is the windows and IBM audio file format. It is much better to use in sample applications raw PCM. But it isup tothem.

0 Kudos
dirks
Beginner

The .MCF format is a opensource container for storing raw data. So I can retrieve the raw data from there. So at that moment I have the raw data at my disposal. Do you have an example on how to treath raw data in stead of the USC example, only dealing with raw data (I'm a bit lost here)

the URL for the MCF format is:

http://mcf.sourceforge.net/

I can send you a .mcf sample if this can help you?

0 Kudos
ligoban
Beginner

It is easy to see how to work with raw PCM data - just read README for vocoders where API is defined. Also the source code of the sample application is opened - try to change it or do your own application using it.

As I see you want to encode your.mcf, do you? First and thesimpliest way - convert .mcf to .wav (you need to know both formats and you do). The other way (as I said above) - to write your own application for .mcf.

Actually, I've never used .mcf. And I even don't know any software that can read this format. Can you please tell me more about the purpose of your application?

ligoban@yandex.ru

Also send me an .mcf sample.

0 Kudos
dirks
Beginner

I've send you an email

grd

0 Kudos
dirks
Beginner

additionally, what do you mean with "readme where vocoders API is defined"

I checked the IPP documents but there is not much mentioned about it

0 Kudos
ligoban
Beginner
I meant this file"ipp_sample_wspeech-codingwin_speech-codingcodecusc_interface.htm" (path may vary). This file contains very strict and detailed description of the API. Also use the sample application as an example. But not all the code, just the main part - how to create vocoder, initialize it, run and destroy.
0 Kudos