Intel® Integrated Performance Primitives
Deliberate problems developing high-performance vision, signal, security, and storage applications.

opencv w/ ipp 6.1 on linux: is it possible

gakrivas
Beginner
Hi, I have downloaded and installed the Linux version of IPP, version 6.1.1.042. Its test applications run smoothly.

I have OpenCV installed on my Ubuntu Jaunty system. I used the latest tested svn snapshot and used the cmake-based procedure found at: http://opencv.willowgarage.com/wiki/InstallGuide. It compiles and runs without any problems

I notice that, while configuring cmake for building OpenCV, cmake cannot find IPP. It returns: "Use IPP: 0"
After examining the CMakeLists.txt file, I notice that Cmake enables IPP support on Windows systems only.

Here is the relevant part of the CMakeLists.txt file:

if(WIN32)

set(IPP_FOUND)
foreach(v "6.1" "6.0" "5.3" "5.2" "5.1")
if(NOT IPP_FOUND)
find_path(IPP_PATH "ippi-${v}.dll"
PATHS ${CMAKE_PROGRAM_PATH} ${CMAKE_SYSTEM_PROGRAM_PATH}
DOC "The path to IPP DLLs")
if(IPP_PATH)
file(GLOB IPP_HDRS "${IPP_PATH}/../include")
if(IPP_HDRS)
set(IPP_FOUND TRUE)
endif()
endif()
endif()
endforeach()

message(STATUS "IPP detected: ${IPP_FOUND}")
set(USE_IPP ${IPP_FOUND} CACHE BOOL "Use IPP when available")

if(IPP_FOUND AND USE_IPP)
add_definitions(-DHAVE_IPP)
include_directories("${IPP_PATH}/../include")
link_directories("${IPP_PATH}/../lib")
set(IPP_LIBS ippsmerged.lib ippsemerged.lib ippimerged.lib ippiemerged.lib
ippvmmerged.lib ippvmemerged.lib ippccmerged.lib ippccemerged.lib
ippcvmerged.lib ippcvemerged.lib ippcorel.lib)
endif()

endif()

OpenCV runs smoothly, however my call to cvGetModuleInfo tells me that IPP is not detected.

My IPP shared libraries are at: /opt/intel/ipp/6.1.1.042/ia32/sharedlib

I have created a file ipp.conf in /etc/ld.so.conf.d and ran sudo ldconfig. This should enable OpenCV to locate the shared libraries, right?

So my question is: is OpenCV on Linux supporting IPP? If yes, can you tell me what I am doing wrong? I suspect that IPP is only supported on Windows. I base my suspicion on the cmake file I mentioned above.

Thanks a lot
0 Kudos
1 Reply
Vladimir_Dudnik
Employee
Hello,

OpenCV currently at the process of refactoring the library architecture. Support for IPP will be enabled at the next version (2.0) which is expected sometime at the end of September this year

Regards,
Vladimir
0 Kudos